Local news

Initiation season starts

Of the 644 initiation school applications received by the Department of Cooperative Governance, Human Settlement and Traditional Affairs (COGSTHA), 529 have been approved as the initiation season got underway recently.

The annual traditional practice started on Friday, June 16, and is expected to end by Tuesday, July 18. The MEC for COGSTHA, Basikopo Makamu, officially launched the season on Thursday, June 15 in Polokwane.

Makamu confirmed that the province is ready for a deathfree initiation season. Of the 587 approved schools, 328 are male and 259 are female. Last year saw a high number of young boys and girls participating as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic in the previous years. “Due to the almost doubled amount of initiation school approved, COGSTHA has adjusted its

Also read: TZANEEN: Initiation schools close

administrative and enforcement capabilities to ensure that the lives of our children are kept safe,” he said. The Sekhukhune district has the highest approved number of initiation schools with 285, followed by Capricorn with 127, Waterberg with 84, and Mopani with 51. The MEC emphasised the law on circumcision schools must be followed. The law states that an initiation school must hold a valid permit.

It further states that no traditional surgeon or any other person is allowed to perform rituals in an initiation school without a certificate of fitness issued for that purpose by a registered medical practitioner. No children under the age of 12 can be admitted to an initiation school and no person is allowed to abduct another for the purpose of taking the abducted person to an initiation school. “This cultural practice makes our culture unique and sets us apart.

Also read: Initiates return from initiation school

As we execute this, role players such as the Department of Health, the provincial Initiation Coordinating Committee, the police, the National Prosecution Authority, traditional surgeons and caregivers, communities, and family members are called upon to join hands with us,” he concluded Of the 644 initiation school applications received by the Department of Cooperative Governance, Human Settlement and Traditional Affairs (COGSTHA), 529 have been approved as the initiation season got underway recently.

The annual traditional practice started on Friday, June 16, and is expected to end by Tuesday, July 18. The MEC for COGSTHA, Basikopo Makamu, officially launched the season on Thursday, June 15 in Polokwane. Makamu confirmed that the province is ready for a deathfree initiation season. Of the 587 approved schools, 328 are male and 259 are female. Last year saw a high number of young boys and girls participating as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic in the previous years.

“Due to the almost doubled amount of initiation school approved, COGSTHA has adjusted its administrative and enforcement capabilities to ensure that the lives of our children are kept safe,” he said. The Sekhukhune district has the highest approved number of initiation schools with 285, followed by Capricorn with 127, Waterberg with 84, and Mopani with 51. The MEC emphasised the law on circumcision schools must be followed.

The law states that an initiation school must hold a valid permit. It further states that no traditional surgeon or any other person is allowed to perform rituals in an initiation school without a certificate of fitness issued for that purpose by a registered medical practitioner. No children under the age of 12 can be admitted to an initiation school and no person is allowed to abduct another for the purpose of taking the abducted person to an initiation school.

“This cultural practice makes our culture unique and sets us apart. As we execute this, role players such as the Department of Health, the provincial Initiation Coordinating Committee, the police, the National Prosecution Authority, traditional surgeons and caregivers, communities, and family members are called upon to join hands with us,” he concluded

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Letaba Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Emelda Tintswalo Shipalana

Tintswalo Shipalana, a journalist for the Letaba Herald, has been in the media industry for over a decade. She started her journey in radio, but ended up in print which is her first love. She joined the Herald newspaper as a cadet in 2016, where she graduated with a journalism qualification from the Caxton Training Academy. She also has a qualification in Feature Writing from the University of Cape Town and a Media Management qualification from Wits University. She is completing her BA Communication Science degree with UNISA. She sleeps well at night knowing she is a voice to the voiceless and her work contributes to promoting local talent, businesses and service delivery. Her love for her community keeps her working hard every day.

Related Articles

Back to top button