Start your week off with this delicious and easy pilchards tinned fish curry dinner recipe for yourself and the family.
This pilchards tinned fish curry recipe is packed with a lot of different tasty flavours, and can be paired with a fluffy white rice, creamy mashed potatoes, naan bread, or any other bread of your choice.
Pilchards tinned fish curry
- 1 can of pilchards tinned fish
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5-7 garlic cloves, minced
- curry leaves
- 400 ml of thin coconut milk
- 150ml of tamarind juice/paste
- 1 ¼ tablespoons of curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon of tumeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 2 or 3 pinches of fenugreek seeds
- salt to taste
- cooking oil, as much as you need
- Open the tin and take out the fish pieces carefully. If they are big, spread them into 2 or 3 pieces.
- Chop the onion and slice the garlic. Also, get ready with curry leaves, curry powder, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, turmeric powder, and salt. (Refer Note 1)
- Get ready with thin coconut milk and thin tamarind juice. (Refer Note 2)
- Heat the oil and add mustard seeds. Let it splutter.
- Add the onion and sauté it until translucent. For me, it takes about 1 minute.
- Add curry leaves and garlic cloves. Fry them under high flame until the onion starts to turn a golden color. You may stir and mix occasionally to avoid burn. For me, it takes about 3 minutes.
- Now add the curry powder, turmeric powder, fenugreek seeds, and salt. (Refer Note 1)
- Add the tamarind juice.
- Also, add the coconut milk and mix everything well.
- Cook covered under the high flame for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Now add the tinned fish pieces and give a good gentle stir. (Refer Note 3)
- Cook covered under the high flame for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Open the lid and give a gentle stir. Again cook covered under low flame for 8 to 10 minutes. (Refer Note 4)
- Taste the curry and adjust salt if needed.
- This is how to make the best tined fish curry without potatoes. Serve and enjoy this delicious canned fish curry recipe in Sri Lankan style.
This recipe was found on topsrilankanrecipe.com
Compiled by Lerato Maimela