Covid-19: Cele talks crime decreases and arrests of security forces members
At an appropriate time after the lockdown a comprehensive statistical crime breakdown would be released.

Police Minister, Gen Bheki Cele today shared important crime statistics at a media briefing in Durban.
“With just over a week left of the two-week extension, the SAPS, along with the SANDF, Provincial Traffic, Metro Police Departments, and other law enforcement agencies, have done fairly well in terms of enforcing the regulations,” Cele said.
Also read: Boost security for remote workforce
He added that members on deployment during the lockdown had shown unwavering commitment and resilience to combat the Covid-19 global pandemic.
The minister said more than 190 roadblocks and 681 vehicle checkpoints were set up every day throughout the country.
“Raids conducted saw illegal liquor outlets shut down and non-essential services such as mines, factories, and other companies busted.
“Due to the lockdown, the heightened visibility, reinforced by the deployment of the SANDF and other variables such as the prohibition of the sale of liquor, we have seen a significant drop across most crime categories,” Cele said.
Also read: Lockdown a ‘perfect tsunami’ for cyber criminals as more employees work remotely
He added that at an appropriate time after the lockdown a comprehensive statistical crime breakdown would be released.
“At this stage, we have compared crime for the period March 27 to April 20, this year to the same period in 2019.
“We welcome the decrease in especially contact crime and trio crimes,” Cele said.
There was an 87.2 percent decrease in the number of reported rape cases and an 85.2 percent decrease in the number of cases involving assault with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
Additionally, the number of murder cases decreased by 72 percent.
A decrease of 80.9 percent was recorded in the number of car hijacking cases while residential robberies decreased by 53.8 percent.
“We have noted a remarkable decrease in domestic violence-related crimes.
Also read: Six arrested police officers from Pretoria released on bail
“These include but are not exclusive to murder, attempted murder, rape, and sexual assault.
“The national picture reflects a decrease of 69.4 percent from 9 990 cases reported between March 29 and April 22, last year to 3 061 since the beginning of lockdown until April 20, a difference of 6 929 cases,” Cele said.
“One of the challenges we have faced during the lockdown has been arresting members of the security forces, government officials, and public office bearers, specifically councillors.
“One hundred and thirty-one members were arrested.
“The members we have arrested face a variety of charges relating to the prohibition of the selling of liquor during the lockdown where some were caught drinking; buying and selling liquor; corruption and defeating the ends of justice and organising gatherings in contravention of the regulations.”
He said that the only permit that may be obtained from the police, which can also be obtained from a magistrate, is for travelling across provincial boundaries to and from a funeral.
Police are not responsible for any other lockdown permits.
Dear reader,
As your local news provider, we have the duty of keeping you factually informed on Covid-19 developments. As you may have noticed, mis- and disinformation (also known as “fake news”) is circulating online. Caxton Local Media is determined to filter through the masses of information doing the rounds and to separate truth from untruth in order to keep you adequately informed. Local newsrooms follow a strict pre-publication fact-checking protocol. A national task team has been established to assist in bringing you credible news reports on Covid-19.
Read original story on bedfordviewedenvalenews.co.za