Pietermaritzburg tavern shooting leaves five injured and one dead

It is believed that a group of people stormed into the tavern, told everyone to lie down and started shooting.

Residents of Swayimane, near Wartburg outside Pietermaritzburg, have been left reeling after gunmen stormed into a local tavern and shot six people on Friday night.

Lwazi Ndlela (22) died at the scene, while five people were rushed to hospital with gunshot wounds.

A group reportedly stormed into the tavern and fired shots at a number of men.

Gunmen also stole money, alcohol and cigarettes

Pietermaritzburg police spokesperson Sergeant Sifiso Gwala said the incident happened a few minutes before midnight on Friday.

He said according to the tavern owner the incident happened as she was about to close.

“It is alleged that a group of men arrived at the tavern and ordered everyone who was inside to lie down. They then asked for someone who was outside the tavern and they started shooting. They also took the money for the day, alcohol and cigarettes from the storeroom and a hard drive from the CCTV camera before they fled the scene.”

Gwala said when the police arrived at the scene, the people who were drinking at the tavern were already standing outside.

He added that all the cars on the tavern premises had punctured tyres.

“When the police entered the tavern, they found two men lying on the floor. One was already dead. Upon further inspection, it was established that another four people had been shot.”

Gwala said police are investigating a case of murder, five attempted murder cases and robbery. He said no one has been arrested.

Mayor shocked by incident

uMshwathi Mayor Mandla Zondi said they are shocked by the incident and that they hope the police will find the suspects.

“According to the information I received from the ward councillor, the incident is suspected to be a robbery because things were taken from the tavern. If you follow the things that are happening in taverns and think that now it is happening to us, it is scary. We have quite a number of taverns that are operating within the municipality.”

Zondi said they will engage with the police to find out how their investigations are going.

This is the second tavern shooting that has happened in Pietermaritzburg in the space of three months.

In July, four people were shot dead and eight were left injured at the Samukelisiwe Tavern in Sweetwaters. In this incident it was alleged that two men randomly shot at patrons.

The KwaZulu-Natal Liquor Authority then suspended the operating license of this tavern for three months and four people were arrested regarding the incident.

Read original story on www.citizen.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Ruan de Ridder

A digital support specialist at Caxton Local Media, known for his contributions to the digital landscape. He has covered major stories, including the Moti kidnappings, and edits and curates news of national importance from over 50 Caxton Local News sites.
Back to top button