South Coast fisherman disappears underwater after sharks move in to feed on sardines
It's believed that sharks were feeding on sardines when a fisherman went missing.
Police rescue services are searching for a 37-year-old man following a suspected shark attack on Friday afternoon.
South Coast Herald reports that the incident took place in Mfazazana, near Hibberdene.
SAPS K9 Search and Rescue and Water Policing and Diving Services (WPDS) were alerted that a man had gone missing in the sea, following a reported shark incident.
Craig Lambinon, spokesperson for the National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI), says it had been reported that three local fishermen were in the water near a school of sardines.
“One man disappeared under [the] water after a shark appeared to surface where the man was fishing. It appears that one friend attempted to intervene, but it is believed that he was confronted by at least two sharks, and he retreated to the shoreline. It is believed that the sharks were feeding on the school of sardines at the time,” says Lambinon.
Police K9 Search and Rescue and WPDS attended the scene on Friday, but there was no sign of the missing man.
Yesterday, Police K9 Search and Rescue and WPDS assisted by NSRI Shelly Beach continued the search.
Police have opened an investigation and are continuing the search.
Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.
Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.
Read original story on www.citizen.co.za