Driver’s licence validity extension mulled, demerit system to go ahead
Transport department confirms national October roll-out of traffic demerit system.
The demerit system to minimise persistent traffic violations is set to be rolled out in 69 municipalities across the country from October.
Zululand Observer reports that this is according to Deputy Minister of Transport Mkhuleko Hlengwa, who revealed plans to roll out the Administration and Adjudication of Road Traffic Offences (Aarto) system.
Hlengwa, who delivered the department’s budget vote last week, said the system will be implemented in phases.
Aarto will be rolled out according to municipal readiness from October 1 for the 69 municipalities that are ready for the roll-out. This is Phase 2 of the Aarto roll-out programme.
“Phase 3 will be rolled out on February 1, 2026, for the 144 municipalities that will be ready only then,” he said.
Hlengwa said the department will, however, continue to intensify road safety education and awareness across the country.
“Research has shown that more than 80% of road crashes are due to human error, and thus call for behaviour-changing efforts on our part,” said Hlengwa.
He further revealed department plans to extend the driver’s licence card validity period to eight years.
This comes amid several pleas for the validity period to be extended beyond the current five years.
The department is conducting a ‘cost benefit analysis’, which is expected to be concluded in the second quarter of the current financial year.
The news comes as thousands of motorists await new driver’s licence cards owing to a massive backlog caused by the breakdown of the country’s sole licence card printing machine.
Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.
Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.
Read original story on www.citizen.co.za