Knysna political killings spark ANC internal faction concerns
Tensions run high in Knysna following the fatal shootings of former mayor Aubrey Tsengwa, former councillor Mandla Matiwane and a taxi industry figure.
Three men, including two former ANC councillors, have been shot dead in Knysna in less than 24 hours, raising concerns within party structures.
Knysna-Plett Herald reports that former Knysna mayor Aubrey Tsengwa (48), a sitting Ward 8 councillor for the ANC, was shot multiple times while driving down Ngxalo Street in Joodsekamp with three other men on Wednesday (August 19). One of his companions sustained a gunshot wound to the arm.
Just 24 hours later, at about 21:00 yesterday (August 20), former Knysna Ward 7 councillor Mandla Matiwane (47) and a 48-year-old man believed to be a leading figure in the taxi industry were shot and killed in a vehicle in Bongani. The second victim’s name has yet to be released.
Reports indicate that on the day of Tsengwa’s murder, the ANC had planned to call a community meeting to discuss candidate nominees for upcoming local government elections.
History of strife
Last year, Tsengwa and his brother were allegedly involved in an altercation with other ANC members in Ward 8, after which Tsengwa laid charges of assault.
The alleged assault took place during a registration day for a by-election on June 25, 2025, to fill the vacancy left when Tsengwa resigned as councillor, following his removal as mayor through a motion of no confidence in February 2025.
A team of Knysna detectives was assembled to investigate charges and counter-charges resulting from the brawl between ANC factions in Concordia.
At the time, police spokesperson Warrant Officer Christopher Spies said eight arrests were made, but the suspects were released pending a court appearance. A number of high-ranking ANC provincial officials were reportedly present when the fight broke out.
The brawl was allegedly triggered after questions were raised about a house-to-house registration process that had not been sanctioned by top ANC structures. It is understood that disagreements between the two factions were later resolved.
Tender investigation
On August 7, President Cyril Ramaphosa proclaimed a Special Investigating Unit (SIU) investigation in the Government Gazette into possible tender irregularities in Knysna Municipality stemming from a contract worth R68m.
The proclamation mandates the SIU to investigate alleged irregularities in municipal tender T25 of 2023/24 for a three-year contract for physical security services for various municipal properties.
According to the proclamation, allegations include unfair procurement, improper conduct by officials and suppliers and related financial losses suffered by the municipality.
Suggestions have been raised that funds and control over the tender were not equitably distributed.
‘Too early to have a view’
Responding to questions about the three murders, ANC MP for Knysna and former ANC regional secretary Mzwanele Major Sokopo said law enforcement was hard at work.
“It is still early to have a view on the current atrocities that are taking place in Knysna. We trust that law enforcement will bring stability while swiftly dealing with the investigation,” Sokopo said.
Police are investigating whether the latest murders are related to the killing of Tsengwa.
Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.
Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.
Read original story on www.knysnaplettherald.com