Are you looking for a unique way to recycle your plastic water and beverage bottles? Here’s a wonderful kids’ project that uses the entire bottle – label and all!
What you need
- 500ml plastic water bottle with cap
- Spray paint or multi-surface craft paint
- White craft glue or hot glue gun
- Foam brush
- Small paint brush
- Rocks or pebbles
- Plastic drinking straw
How to make it
- Remove labels and lids from the bottle but do not discard them. If your water bottle lacks a label, have a scrap of paper nearby to use instead. Cut the water bottle in half and set one half aside.
- Cut slits about an inch wide in the top part of the bottle. You should have 8 “petals” in the end. Stretch the petals outward, then paint with spray paint or multi-surface craft paint.
- Help your child add detail by using the smaller paintbrush.
- Put the lid on the bottle top.
- Fill the lid with white glue and place the straw into it.
- Glue the bottle wrapper around the straw to help it stay upright.
- Fill the bottom half of the water bottle with sand or soil, about 1.5 – 2 inches deep. Pack it down and insert the straw’s bottom end into it.
- Place pebbles or stones on top of the sand (stem).
For a step-by-step tutorial click here.