Alleged Daveyton/Thembisa serial rapist’s case transferred to high court

The case against a man who faces 145 charges including 44 counts of rape will continue in the Benoni High Court.

Following a brief appearance in the Benoni Regional Court yesterday, the case against a 38-year-old man dubbed ‘The Daveyton/Thembisa serial rapist’ was postponed to May 7.

The former Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa security guard was arrested in Mayfield, Daveyton, on January 22 last year following joint investigations by the SAPS Benoni and Tembisa Family Violence and Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit.

It is alleged that he was active from 2018 until his arrest. He currently faces 145 charges including 44 counts of rape, 43 charges of kidnapping, 41 of pointing a firearm at someone and 17 additional charges, including fraud, obstruction of justice, forcing someone to witness a sexual act, contravention of the South African Police Service Act 68 of 1995 and contravention of the Firearms Control Act 60 of 2000.

On June 20, his bail application was denied in the Daveyton Magistrate’s Court.

At the time, magistrate Vinnie Gobind stated the application did not present extraordinary circumstances, which warrant bail being granted.

He said given the gravity of the charges brought against the accused, as well as the evidence presented by the state, the accused posed a flight risk.

The accused was served with an indictment, and the matter will be transferred to the high court.

Clutching a hardcover notebook, appearing frustrated, he waved it in the air while being led back to the holding cells.

“This is too much,” he said as he exited the courtroom.

Read original story on www.citizen.co.za

 
Back to top button