Explosives used in cash-in-transit robbery on KZN’s N2

The N2 northbound near Queen Nandi Drive is closed due to a cash-in-transit robbery.

KZN’s N2 freeway northbound near the KwaMashu off-ramp was brought to a complete standstill following a cash-in-transit (CIT) bombing and robbery this morning.

According to Prem Balram, the spokesperson for Reaction Unit South Africa, around 20 robbers were involved in the CIT bombing.

“It was established that approximately 20 [gunmen] with high calibre rifles opened fire on a vehicle transporting cash. They fled with an undisclosed amount of cash prior to the arrival of first responders. Several collisions occurred after motorists attempted to steer clear of the gunfire,” he says.

It is understood that the robbers got away with the money and no injuries were reported.

ALS Paramedics spokesperson Garrith Jamieson says they responded to the incident just after 05:30.

Several cars were damaged in separate collisions while the robbery was in progress. Photo: ALS Paramedics.

“We received numerous calls of an explosion and robbery on the N2. Paramedics arrived on the scene to find that a CIT vehicle had been attacked by alleged robbers with apparent explosives used. Paramedics assessed the occupants of the cash vehicle, however, fortunately, they were not injured during the robbery,” he says.

Traffic has been severely affected, and the N2 northbound in the vicinity of Queen Nandi Drive will be closed for some time while SAPS investigations continue.

The robbery comes after two suspected CIT robbers were shot and fatally wounded in Phoenix in the early hours on Tuesday morning.

Provincial SAPS spokesperson Colonel Robert Netshiunda confirmed that police also recovered rifles and a pistol, several rounds of ammunition and an undisclosed amount of money found in possession of the suspects.

One suspect was later arrested after he was located at a block of flats with gunshot wounds.

Read original story on www.citizen.co.za

Back to top button