George politician in court over rape and sexual exploitation allegations
A Western Cape man accused of sexual offences was released on bail, while the victim’s mother is due to appear in court next week.
A high-profile case involving allegations of sexual exploitation, rape and human trafficking is continuing in the George Magistrate’s Court, and some new developments emerged this week.
According to George Herald, the accused, a local politician and member of the provincial parliament, who still has to plead to the charges against him, was granted bail of R15 000 on Tuesday.
The court accepted the defence’s argument that exceptional circumstances justified his release.
As part of his bail conditions, he is required to remain in Cape Town for the duration of the investigation and may only travel with permission from the investigating officer.
He is expected to appear in court in George again on May 28.
The accused is now represented by attorney Winston Jansen, who has taken over the case from Nico Smit.
During the bail application, affidavits from both the state and the defence were read into the record. The affidavit from the Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit’s investigating officer detailed some serious allegations against the accused.
It further stated that the complainant had previously attempted to take her own life by overdosing on medication. The affidavit outlined a series of incidents, allegedly spanning several years, in which the accused is said to have raped the girl from the age of 12 to 17, at various locations.
In contrast, the accused’s affidavit, read by Jansen, maintains his innocence.
He stated he had voluntarily handed himself over to the police and claimed that the allegations against him were based on fabricated information by certain individuals for personal gain.
Jansen told the court that his client is not a flight risk, is a first-time offender and has no history suggesting violent behaviour.
The case also involves the complainant’s mother, who faces charges of human trafficking and sexual exploitation.
She has requested to be represented by Jansen as well. Her bail application is scheduled to be heard on Tuesday.
Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.
Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.
Read original story on www.georgeherald.com