Kruger National Park begins R950m recovery after devastating floods
A rebuilding programme focuses on modernising tourism facilities and upgrading key bridges to withstand future weather events.
Minister of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment David Maynier received an update on progress with flood repairs during a visit to the Kruger National Park from August 12 to 15, reports the Lowvelder.
Heavy rains and severe flooding in January caused extensive damage to park infrastructure, including roads, accommodation and water infrastructure.
Since then, the park’s management team and contractors have been working to repair the damage and restore affected facilities.
Maynier said the recovery programme was focused not only on repairing the damage but also on improving the park’s infrastructure.
“The recovery work being undertaken is not just repairing the damage, but also building more modern and resilient facilities for the future. Our national parks are valuable environmental assets, and the Kruger National Park is the jewel in our crown. We must ensure that they are maintained and revitalised,” he said.
Maynier visited Letaba Rest Camp, one of the areas hardest hit by the floods, where repair work is progressing.
The A and B circles at Letaba are expected to reopen in September.
The Letaba High-Level Bridge was also severely damaged but remains open, with the final stages of the rebuild nearing completion.
Maynier also engaged with guests staying at Skukuza Rest Camp and the Letaba campsite.
“The guest experience must be a key focus for investments going forward, as we want families and friends to come together and create lasting memories of their time at the park. I’m happy to report that the reviews were overwhelmingly positive, and any snags will be addressed by the park’s management,” Maynier said.
Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.
Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.