Krugersdorp schoolboy suspended after assault on female learner
A case of common assault has been opened after a schoolboy attacked a girl at HTS Nic Diederichs THS yesterday.
A disturbing video of a schoolboy from HTS Nic Diederichs THS in Krugersdorp attacking a girl following a verbal altercation is currently being circulated on various social media platforms.
The video shows two girls, one sitting and the other standing, on the sport field’s pavilion of the school. The two seem to be arguing.
A boy in a pullover then approaches and the girl sitting down seems to start arguing with the boy. He then hands something to the girl next to him and the girl stands up and moves closer to the boy; with the argument getting heated.
The boy then pushes the girl with both hands whereby she falls back onto the pavilion. She jumps up and pushes him back, at which moment he then grabs her by the hair and slaps her profusely against the head three times. A fight then ensues between the two which progresses onto the field. The video ends.
Krugersdorp News sent a query to Krugersdorp Police to which Captain Raymond Sebonyane replied that he and the social crime prevention co-ordinator, Warrant Officer Fritz Terreblanche, tended to the incident. He added that a case of common assault had been opened which is currently under investigation by Krugersdorp police detectives, and that no arrest has been made.
“The police condemns gender-based violence, bullying, fighting, substance abuse and stealing in schools as it is supposed to be a safe space for learners,” he said.
Upon request for comment from the school, principal Anton Strauss said: “As you are very well aware, the school is not allowed to release a statement and all correspondence needs to be done through the Department of Education. We trust you understand.”
Gauteng Department of Education spokesperson Steve Mabona said they are aware of the incident that occurred yesterday and stated that a Gr 10 boy allegedly assaulted a Gr 10 girl.
“This incident was captured in a video that has since gone viral, and we vehemently condemn the behaviour that was displayed.”
He said the boy was suspended today through correspondence that was served to his parents.
“Subsequently, a disciplinary hearing by the school’s disciplinary committee is scheduled for February 12.”
He said their officials visited the school to verify circumstances surrounding the incident and their psychosocial support team has also been deployed to provide counselling and trauma support for the victim.
“We strongly condemn any acts of misconduct by learners that dehumanises, demeans and potentially endangers other learners, and ultimately undermines the dignity of our learning institutions. Learner ill-discipline will not be tolerated in our schools.”
Mabona added that they will continue to monitor the situation and apply further interventions accordingly, while appealing to parents to help enforce discipline in and outside the school environment.
Gauteng Education MEC Matome Chiloane condemned the incident and labelled it as ‘despicable behaviour’.
“No one can be allowed to assault anyone in our schools, and we especially condemn any form of gender-based violence in our schools. We are pleased that the perpetrator is suspended and will not be allowed back in our school before necessary rehabilitation,” the MEC said.
Read original story on krugersdorpnews.co.za