Life terms for man who killed Mpumalanga cop and her sister

Hlabirwa Rassie Nkune is also accused in the murder case of Hillary Gardee, however, these charges have provisionally been withdrawn.

Hlabirwa Rassie Nkune (37) yesterday appeared in the Mpumalanga Division of the High Court to hear his fate after he was found guilty on two counts of premeditated murder.

In a statement read by Nkune’s legal representative, he pleaded guilty to killing Pretty Mazibuko, his girlfriend, and her sister, Marccia, who was a policewoman, in KaNyamazane on May 15 last year.

In the sentencing, the judge, Takalani Vincent Ratshibvumo, stated that the word must go out to the entire Mbombela and all the townships that the court will not tolerate the perpetrators of crimes against women in society. Ratshibvumo declared Nkune unfit to possess a firearm and sentenced him to two life imprisonment terms.

The trial started on Monday and was postponed to Tuesday, when Ratshibvumo handed down the verdict. On Wednesday, during the aggravation of the sentence, advocate Zwelethu Mata presented a victim impact statement compiled by court preparation officer Nomfundo Mokoena.

Nkune was charged with two counts of murder and two counts of attempted murder, however, the state withdrew the attempted murder charges.

According to the Mpumalanga NPA’s Monica Nyuswa, the case highlights two very important things that happen in our society. “One, it is highlighting the scourge of gender-based violence, and two, the emerging killings of officers in our society. The sentence imposed on the accused today is a clear indication that the NPA is taking these kinds of crimes seriously. We are satisfied with the sentence imposed on the accused. We hope it will deter future offenders.”

Nyuswa said the NPA is aware that Nkune was accused number four in the Hillary Gardee murder case.

“The case was provisionally withdrawn, I think few weeks ago. We are still busy with the matter; we are busy tracing witnesses. Once we have found all the witnesses, we will reinstate it and Nkune will come back and face the music.”

Samaria Mazibuko, the victims’ mother, said: “After this sentence today, I am sure I will be able to sleep. I think I will be able to get back to my normal self and to drive. Since this incident occurred, I have not been okay. Another thing that hurts me is that at the time when he ran away, I was not sure about his whereabouts. I was scared. I remember there was a day when I thought I could hear someone walking up the stairs. I walked around the house to check if there was a place that was open and maybe a person managed to enter. I was not free. I appreciate what the law has done, and it makes me happy.”

Read original story on lowvelder.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Ruan de Ridder

A digital support specialist at Caxton Local Media, known for his contributions to the digital landscape. He has covered major stories, including the Moti kidnappings, and edits and curates news of national importance from over 50 Caxton Local News sites.
Back to top button