Man linked to Saulsville mass shooting faces 12 murder counts in court

A 32-year-old man accused of the Saulsville Hostel mass shooting appeared in court, facing 12 murder charges as police continue searching for two suspects.

The 32-year-old man linked to a deadly mass shooting at Saulsville Hostel earlier this month appeared in the Atteridgeville Magistrate’s Court yesterday.

According to Pretoria Rekord, the accused faces 12 counts of murder and 13 counts of attempted murder.

NPA spokesperson Lumka Mahanjana confirmed that the matter was postponed to next Wednesday for bail investigations.

Manhunt and arrest

The suspect was arrested on Sunday following a two-week manhunt linked to the mass shooting at an illegal tavern operating from a hostel room in Saulsville. The attack claimed the lives of 12 people and left 13 others injured.

National SAPS spokesperson Brigadier Athlenda Mathe previously confirmed that the accused is believed to be one of three men involved in the attack, adding that police are still searching for two outstanding suspects.

She added that all available police resources have been deployed to find those responsible.

Firearm recovered

Gauteng police spokesperson Brigadier Brenda Muridili said on Monday that the suspect was arrested in Limpopo by the Gauteng Serious and Violent Crime Investigations team.

“The team, comprising various SAPS specialised units, including Crime Intelligence, traced the suspect during their investigations as he was travelling to Botlokwa in Limpopo,” said Muridili.

Investigators then contacted police in Limpopo and provided them with descriptions of the suspect and the vehicle he was using.

According to Muridili, the suspect was intercepted by the Limpopo Tracking Team on the R101 within the Westenburg policing precinct.

“During the arrest, the team recovered an unlicensed firearm believed to have been used in the commission of the multiple murders,” she said.

She added that the firearm would be sent to the Forensic Science Laboratory for ballistic analysis as part of the ongoing investigation.

Muridili noted that the suspect also faces charges of possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition.

Deadly shooting

The charges stem from a shooting that took place in the early hours of December 6.

During the incident, three suspects entered a hostel room where a group of people had gathered to drink and opened fire.

Initially, 11 people were killed and 14 others were injured. Mathe confirmed at the time that the 12th victim died in hospital that afternoon.

“The shooting occurred shortly after 04:15, but police were only alerted at around 06:00, prompting an immediate response,” she said.

She explained that the gunmen fired indiscriminately, resulting in both targeted individuals and innocent bystanders being caught in the crossfire.

Among those who lost their lives were three minors aged three, 12 and 16.

The motive for the attack remains under investigation as police continue their efforts to locate the remaining suspects.


Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.

Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.

Read original story on www.citizen.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Tshiamo Rightious Boikhutso

Tshiamo is a junior journalist focusing on community news in Pretoria, particularly in the Centurion area. Tshiamo writes for the Centurion Rekord as well as Rekord’s online platforms.
Back to top button