Roodepoort mother accused of killing son: Bail hearing continues today

Public anger and safety concerns continue to mount as the court weighs the risk of granting bail to Tiffany Nicole Meek amid ongoing protests and unresolved forensic evidence.

Final evidence and cross-examination are expected to be heard today in the Roodepoort Magistrate’s Court as the bail hearing of Tiffany Nicole Meek (31), the mother accused of murdering her 11-year-old son, Jayden-Lee Meek, continues.

Roodepoort Record reports that during yesterday’s proceedings, state witness and investigating officer Sergeant Nceba Diko, a detective at the Florida Police Station, took the stand again. He worked through Meek’s affidavit to assess whether her version of events aligned with the findings of the investigation.

Diko disputed claims in Meek’s affidavit that sniffer dogs had been led into a security guard’s room.

“Security never occupied any unit or flat at Swazi’s Place, and I don’t know which flat the affidavit is referring to,” he said.

@caxton.jhbwest

The bail application hearing of Tiffany Nicole Meek (31) continues today, July 22, in the Roodeport Magistrate’s Court. A state witness, Sgt Ncena Diko, took the stand yesterday, detailing events of what happened from when Jayden-Lee Meek went missing to when he was found dead. Today, they are currently going through Meek’s affidavit to confirm if the timelines of events correspond with the investigation. More details to follow. #JusticeForJaydenLee #JusticeforJayden #Murdersuspect #roodepoort #courtappearance #fleurhof #JaydenLeeMeek #RoodepoortRecord #Journalist #CaxonLocalMedia #Fyp #truecrimesouthafrica #crimesouthafrica #truecrime

♬ original sound – Caxton JHB West

He also refuted Meek’s timeline, stating that the school bag, red jacket, shoes and pillow were found on the day of the incident, not on May 16 as claimed in her statement.

However, he confirmed that on May 16, a pair of underwear with no visible blood was observed for the first time by him and the forensic photographer. A towel containing blood traces was also found in the bathtub, but it was not sent for forensic analysis.

Diko explained that the accused was not arrested immediately because investigations, including the post-mortem, took time to finalise.

He further testified that releasing Meek on bail could pose a risk to her safety, the safety of the public and public peace. He also expressed concern that she might evade trial or interfere with potential witnesses.

Tiffany Nicole Meek in the dock in the Roodepoort Magistrate’s Court yesterday. Photo: Itumeleng Molefe

“There are still outstanding investigations to be completed. If the accused relocates to her father’s home in Durban, I will have difficulty monitoring her in line with the court’s conditions,” he said.

“Given the community’s outcry and ongoing protests, I believe she is safer in custody. South Africans are concerned and seeking answers, and I urge the court to consider this.”

Final evidence expected to be submitted includes a community petition handed to Florida police, DNA results, still photographs and video footage.

Until further notice, Meek remains in custody.

Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.

Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.

Read original story on www.citizen.co.za

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Nkosephayo Vilakazi

Nkosephayo Vilakazi is a versatile Journalist at the Roodepoort Record, passionate about storytelling and amplifying marginalised voices. She is dedicated to seeking truth and shedding light on important matters, and is committed to delivering high-quality content to her readers. One story at a time!
Back to top button