Several motorists who were trapped in their vehicles in water-logged roads across Tshwane, had to be rescued by emergency services on Friday night and Saturday morning.
Tshwane emergency services department had their hands full due to several reports of flooding following heavy rains.
Spokesperson, Charles Mabaso said roads and low water bridges in the Centurion area were flooded, leading to the closure of the affected routes after some vehicles were trapped in the low water bridges.
“According to the South African Weather Service (SAWS), 100-160mm of rain was reported in parts of Tshwane,” Mabaso said.
Mabaso said the department would remain on high alert as further incidents of flooding may be reported.
“We call on residents to also remain on high alert; never try to cross flooded low bridges, move yourselves and valuables to higher ground and immediately call for help by dialing our toll-free emergency number 107. “
On Friday, emergency services responded to reports of a man trapped on top of his vehicle in rising floodwaters at the corner of Witstinkhoud and End streets in Centurion.
“The man was swept away in his vehicle when he tried to cross the bridge,” CERT emergency service statement said.
“A multi-discipline rescue operation was launched involving several governmental and non-governmental agencies and after approximately four hours, the man was located about 500m downstream, in the river, while clinging to a tree.”
Cert said several specialised rescue personnel from the police, Tshwane fire department, Gauteng emergency medical services, and SARZA performed the daring rescue and managed to successfully rescue the man from the river.
“The man was cold and tired following his ordeal of several hours.
CERT said in several operations six people were rescued from their vehicles and “one person was unfortunately lost in the floodwaters and has not yet been found”.
Breakdown of rescues by Tshwane emergency services:
– A car was recovered by a towing service truck before 11:00 on January 4, in Witstinkhout Street after the occupant evacuated safely.
– 20:08: Two people rescued from car at Tierpoort Road, Boschkop.
– 22:41: Man rescued from tree on the N4 highway at Weighbridge, Donkerhoek.
– 23:59: Man rescued from roof of a car at End and Blackwood streets, Centurion.
– 00:14: Man rescued from car, West and South streets.
– 01:31: Man rescued from car, Irene Farm, Centurion.
– 02:21: Man rescued from car in Achilles Road, Olympus. The male patient was taken to Unitas hospital in a critical but stable condition.
– 03:32: Man rescued from car, Christina de Wit and Eeufees roads.
– 04:28: Man rescued from car at Jean Avenue and R101 road, Centurion.
– 05:17: Two people rescued from cars on the R101 and M10 roads, Wiederbrug.
– 05:46: Man rescued from at Centurion Lake hotel.
– 06:11: Two people rescued from roof of car, Tyman Road, Monrick area, Bronkhorstspruit.
Read original story on rekord.co.za