Teen slain: My ‘gold’ is gone, says mom

A mother in Vereeniging is in shock after her 19-year-old son was stabbed to death, allegedly by a 17-year-old boy.

Mamokete Malebo holds back the tears as she speaks to Sedibeng Ster.

The 43-year-old mother suffered a tremendous loss on Monday, when her son, Isaac (19), died after he was stabbed.

Isaac is said to have intervened in a gang fight that was happening between his school mates and learners from Thuto Tiro Secondary School.

Malebo relays how she found out about her son’s murder. She says she received a call from her younger son who alerted her that his older brother was stabbed.

“I was at work when I received the call and I rushed to the scene with my manager. On arrival, I saw two ambulances [and emergency personnel] attending to Isaac. He was already placed inside one of them and when I saw him, he could not speak,” she explains.

“After a while, paramedics told me that they were rushing him to Mediclinic hospital. They tried all they could to resuscitate him, but the stab wound was too deep, and he was declared deceased,” she adds.

Mamokete explains Isaac was everything to the family and his siblings. “He was naughty like most child but never got into any serious trouble. Today was the first time I received a call from the school about my son. The boy [who killed my son] took my gold away,” she says.

The bereaved mother feels the school should have done more. “The incident happened meters away from the school, but no official came to the scene. There were only school kids and bystanders with the principal nowhere to be found.”

Mamokete says she will remember her son for his warmth and his beautiful smile.

Gauteng Department of Education spokesperson Steve Mabona adds: “We can confirm that there is an incident which occurred in Sedibeng involving a learner from General Smuts and another from Thuto Tiro Secondary School. The learner from Thuto Tiro stabbed the one from General Smuts and unfortunately, the learner from General Smuts passed away. We wish to convey our condolences to the family and the school community.”

Vereeniging police spokesperson Captain Fikile Funda confirmed that a case of murder is being investigated.

“A 17-year-old suspect has been detained at Vereeniging Police Station. Investigations in the matter are underway.”

Read original story on sedibengster.com

Back to top button