The South African Transport and Allied Workers union say the Intertoll workers strike will go on indefinitely until their employer comes up with a reasonable offer.
The strike turned violent last week when a storeroom was set ablaze and four temporary workers were assaulted at the Umvoti Toll Plaza.
Workers are demanding an increase from R2 900 to R6000 a month.
Also read: Umvoti toll office burns, temporary workers assaulted
“We had a meeting on Thursday and the employer said he is willing to pay R4360 a month, of which we cannot accept. We will be having another meeting again on Wednesday,” said SATAWU national sector coordinator Godfrey Qobela.
SANRAL CEO, Skhumbuzo Macozoma said SANRAL has called on both Intertoll and SATAWU to find a speedy resolution.
“We are saddened by the injury of the four temporary workers at the Umvoti toll plaza. The police are investigating charges of willful damage to property. Intertoll will cooperate with the investigation by providing authentic footage of the crimes being committed and have identified suspects,” says Macozoma.
Currently you can drive straight through the Umvoti Toll Plaza without paying and police are monitoring the plaza.

Do you want to receive news alerts via WhatsApp? Send us a WhatsApp message (not an sms) with your name and surname to 061 718 4438.
Please read our WhatsApp broadcast list disclaimer.
Join the conversation on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
Stay in the loop with The North Coast Courier on Facebook, X, Instagram & YouTube for the latest news.
Mobile users can join our WhatsApp Broadcast Service here, or if you’re on desktop, scan the QR code below.

