Commuters run for cover
The taxi turf war has exploded in another wave of violence.
Tension continues to rise between local taxi associations as commuters had to flee to take cover in shops during the shooting at the KwaDukuza taxi rank this morning.
Stanger resident Slingene Mpanza said she, vendors and other commuters ran and hid in neighbouring shops when taxi owners opened fire.
“We were in there for over an hour because we were scared of coming out. The situation is getting really dangerous.”
This comes after KwaDukuza Taxi Association member, Dennis Mhlongo and his driver (25) were shot dead on the R102 in Groutville on Thursday.
KwaDukuza SAPS communications officer constable S’busiso Khumalo said no one was injured and there was no need to panic.
“We are keeping a close eye on the situation and two men suspected in last week’s shooting are in KwaDukuza Magistrate’s Court as we speak.”
Stay in the loop with The North Coast Courier on Facebook, X, Instagram & YouTube for the latest news.
Mobile users can join our WhatsApp Broadcast Service here, or if you’re on desktop, scan the QR code below.

