Crime

Missing Glendale teen found dead

The circumstances surrounding his death remain under police investigation.

Missing Glendale teenager Sandiswa Zamani Sibiya (19) was found dead on Thursday, bringing an extensive search for him to a tragic end.

Sibiya had been missing since the weekend after failing to return home following a school trip.

Glendale police spokesperson Sergeant Sibusiso Khuzwayo said his body was found at the bottom of a 50-metre ditch in Glendale.

“We would like to thank all the role players who came to assist with the search and the members of the public. We are still waiting for the forensic team and the investigation is underway,” said Khuzwayo.

The discovery followed an extensive search on Wednesday involving Glendale Saps, IPSS Search and Rescue, Empangeni K9 Search and Rescue, volunteers and Glendale residents.

A private helicopter from BadulAir Aviation was also brought in to assist with the aerial search.

Sibiya was last seen after leaving his home at about 3pm on Friday, August 14, to stay with a friend in Glendale Heights ahead of a school trip the following day.

He was expected to return home after the trip, but his family became concerned when he failed to do so.

On Monday, August 17, Sibiya’s mother received his cellphone and charger from one of his friends.

The friend told the family that Sibiya and his friends had returned from the school trip and later gone to a place known as Thula’s, where they allegedly consumed alcohol.

According to his friends, Sibiya later left the group, saying he was going to sleep. He was not seen again.

The circumstances surrounding his death remain under police investigation.


Stay in the loop with The North Coast Courier on FacebookXInstagram & YouTube for the latest news.

Mobile users can join our WhatsApp Broadcast Service here, or if you’re on desktop, scan the QR code below.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from North Coast Courier in Google News and Top Stories.

Sboniso Dlamini

Sboniso has been a journalist with The North Coast Courier since 2014. He is passionate about making a positive impact in people's lives through his storytelling. He finds joy in sharing the stories of ordinary people, believing that everyone has a story worth telling.
Back to top button