Hawks arrest Stanger policeman for double murder
The murder of two policemen on Saturday is believed to have been an inside job.

In an ugly twist to the already tragic circumstances, a KwaDukuza policeman was arrested yesterday for allegedly arranging the ambush that saw two officers murdered outside Stanger early on Saturday morning.
A 53-year-old lieutenant colonel was cuffed by the Hawks yesterday afternoon, just two days after the murders of Stanger policemen Const Xulu and Const Mthethwa.
The deceased had been driving on the R74 near Stanger at around 1.30am when they stopped to investigate a red vehicle parked on the side of the road. It is believed that three unknown men emerged from the bush and opened fire on the vehicle. The constable and student constable seated in the front of the vehicle were killed as the men opened fire on them.
According to a statement by SAPS media spokesperson Colonel Jay Naicker a team of the Hawks were able to piece together what transpired from the evidence on the scene.
“The man is expected to appear in the KwaDukuza Magistrates Court on Wednesday facing two charges of murder,” he said, in the statement.
Provincial Commissioner, Lieutenant General Mmamonnye Ngobeni expressed her appreciation to the Hawks: “While we are pleased that the case has been solved we are extremely disappointed that one of our own could have perpetrated such a cowardly act. We will ensure that he gets not favours from the SAPS and faces the full might of the law like all other criminals,” she said.
![Const Xulu was one of the Stanger policemen who was shot and killed on Saturday. [photograph posted on Facebook].](https://images.caxton.co.za/wp-content/uploads/sites/73/2014/02/1483438_445486955581064_726810860_n-423x317.jpg)
Stay in the loop with The North Coast Courier on Facebook, X, Instagram & YouTube for the latest news.
Mobile users can join our WhatsApp Broadcast Service here, or if you’re on desktop, scan the QR code below.

