Umdloti to host top SA surfers for Quiksilver Takes One To Know One series
Next weekend 90 surfers will compete at Umdloti.
SA’s top surfers will soon be ripping up waves in Umdloti next weekend at the second leg of the Quiksilver Takes One To Know One series.
The competition is part of a three-leg surf series forming part of the Surfing South Africa Pro Surf Tour.
Ninety surfers will compete in two divisions for over R30 000 in prize money. The event will be staged at Umdloti’s main beach on May 31 and June 1.
The 3A rated Pro Surf Tour event will cater for the open mens division, surfers of all ages, as well as the pro junior boys division, boys under the age of twenty years old. The first event of the series took place in small but clean surf at Long Beach, Cape Town and saw David Van Zyl (21) coming out tops in what proved to be his first career victory in the open mens division. Van Zyl will be hoping to repeat his performance in the upcoming event.
“I am so glad I’m going to be home for this event, I love the surf on the KZN coast in winter and to have an event at a different spot like Umdloti is great,” said Van Zyl.
Other competitors worth keeping an eye on are Dale Staples from Westbrook, Slade Prestwich, who will be competing in both the open mens and pro junior divisions, Capetonians Michael February, Jarred Veldhuis and Diran Zakarian, former ASP World Tour surfer Ricky Basnett from the Bluff and brothers Daniel and Josh Redman, who both previously resided in Umdloti for over eight years and are very familiar with the tricky surf break. Beyrick de Vries from Umhlanga will also be a big threat in all conditions and will be hoping to count on his international experience to make a difference to take the title.
The Quiksilver Takes One To Know One series was introduced due to a lack of credible local surf events for open men in SA.
“We hope the local guys can use these events as steeping stones for bigger things, for the experience and the money,” said Quiksilver sales and marketing manager Dane Patterson.
Surfing is set to start at 8 am on Saturday and Sunday with the finals and event and awards ceremony scheduled to take place around 3 pm on Sunday afternoon. The series will come to a close in September at Victoria Bay in the Southern Cape.
Be sure to get down to the beach to witness some high calibre competitive surfing.
#quiktotko
<iframe src=”//player.vimeo.com/video/89253706″ width=”500″ height=”281″ webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
Stay in the loop with The North Coast Courier on Facebook, X, Instagram & YouTube for the latest news.
Mobile users can join our WhatsApp Broadcast Service here, or if you’re on desktop, scan the QR code below.

