UPDATE: Arrest sparks Tongaat taxi blockade
Taxi drivers claim lift clubs are taking the bread from their tables.
Every intersection in Tongaat was blocked on Wednesday, February 24 during peak morning traffic, when taxi drivers protested against one of their own security guards being arrested for alleged intimidation.
A woman opened a case of intimidation with the Tongaat SAPS before 7am on Wednesday morning after the taxi security guard allegedly pulled her over and accused her of operating an unlicensed lift club.
When the police arrested the man, angry taxi drivers immediately flocked to the Tongaat police station to defend their security guard and demand his release.
The police refused to release him which lead to taxi drivers taking the law into their own hands, blockading every intersection in the town and pulling over all cars with more than one occupant.
Taxi drivers claim people are who operate unlicensed lift clubs are taking the bread from their tables and want to bring an end to it.
In September last year taxi operators threatened to take matters into their own hands if the Department of Transport (DoT) did not regulate unlicensed lift club operators in the Tongaat area.
DoT’s Sbusisio Nhleko said anyone transporting passengers for financial reward must carry a valid permit. People who give others a lift without receiving payment do not need a permit.
Tongaat SAPS’ warrant officer Manisha Maharaj-Marie said lift club operators were given a time-frame in which to obtain operating permits.
“Some have applied and paid but not all,” said Maharaj-Marie.
She said the situation on the ground got nasty, with a lot of swearing and screaming at the police.
However, police told taxi drivers to remove their taxis or they would be towed away and the blockade was cleared within 20 minutes.
She said this was the first case opened since the start of the taxis versus lift clubs saga and the police are only able to take action if cases are opened.
Many people were late for work because they were either stuck in Tongaat or forced to take a back road to work.
Maharaj-Maire said the man accused of intimidation was expected to appear in the Verulam Magistrate’s court later on Wednesday.
Do you want to receive news alerts via WhatsApp? Send us a WhatsApp message with your name and surname to 061 718 4438.
Please read our WhatsApp broadcast list disclaimer.
Join us on BBM at 59015786
Join the conversation on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Stay in the loop with The North Coast Courier on Facebook, X, Instagram & YouTube for the latest news.
Mobile users can join our WhatsApp Broadcast Service here, or if you’re on desktop, scan the QR code below.

