CrimeLocal newsNews

Cop shot dead with his own pistol

The reason the police officer was shot is not known, but a case of murder has been opened.

Netcare reacted strongly to suggestions that a police officer who was shot on Sunday, died because he was allegedly refused treatment by two of its hospitals.

A Sundumbili SAPS officer lost the fight for his life on Sunday afternoon, only hours after being shot with his own service pistol.

Warrant Officer Bongani Cele (48) was rushed to hospital in a critical condition after he was shot in the back by two men who attacked him from behind and snatched his gun.

The bullet entered his body in the back and reportedly traveled through the abdomen to exit the body in the front.

The incident happened on Sunday, February 28 at Dark City in Sundumbili and KZN SAPS spokesperson, Major Thulani Zwane said the motive for the attack was not known but a case of murder has been opened. An arrest has yet to be made.

Cele, unable to move his legs and bleeding heavily from his abdomen, could reportedly not be admitted to Alberlito or Umhlanga hospitals’ 24 hour casualty units and he had to be transported to Ethekwini Hospital, a hundred kilometres away from where the incident happened and where Cele died later that afternoon.

IPSS Medical Rescue‘s head of operations, Paul Herbst said they wanted to go to Alberlito but was told by the trauma doctor on duty that there was no neorosurgeon available and she advised that the patient be taken to Umhlanga where she made arrangements for a doctor to receive Cele.

On the way to Umhlanga Hosptial, Herbst called the hospital to give an update on Cele’s condition which is when he was told that no arrangements had been made and he had to find another hospital

“Alberlito Hospital is not an appropriate facility for the care of a patient with critical injuries of the nature sustained by the policeman,” said Netcare emergency and trauma manager, Mande Toubkin in reaction to suggestions that Cele died because he was denied immediate treatment.

She said paramedics were required to take patients to the nearest appropriate medical facility, meaning that there must be an appropriate medical practitioner to provide the required treatment.

Toubkin said although Umhlanga Hospital did not have a neurosurgeon available, they were prepared to accept the patient but he was never brought there.

“It later transpired that the paramedic had taken the decision to take the patient to another hospital located near Netcare Umhlanga Hospital,” said Toubkin.

However, Herbst said since the bullet may have ruptured any of the major organs located in the abdominal area, the patient needed immediate stabilisation and blood.

“The patient was in a critical condition, showed signs of neurological fallout from having been shot in the back and was bleeding heavily and urgently needed to be stabilised.”

 

Do you want to receive news alerts via WhatsApp? Send us a WhatsApp message with your name and surname to 061 718 4438.

Please read our WhatsApp broadcast list disclaimer.
Join us on BBM at 59015786
Join the conversation on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.


Stay in the loop with The North Coast Courier on FacebookXInstagram & YouTube for the latest news.

Mobile users can join our WhatsApp Broadcast Service here, or if you’re on desktop, scan the QR code below.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from North Coast Courier in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button