Local newsNews

UPDATE: New Luthuli inquest?

Dr Albertina Luthuli confirmed the meeting between the NPA and the Luthuli family two weeks ago, but said that no solid plans had yet been set for an investigation.

An exploratory meeting between the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) and the Luthuli family took place recently, following calls to re-open the inquest into the suspicious death of former ANC president, Chief Albert Luthuli.

The Groutville chief, president of the African National Congress (1952-1967) and Nobel Peace Prize winner, was allegedly run over by a train in 1967.

Following the 50th anniversary of his death last year, his daughter and ANC veteran Dr Albertina Luthuli told the Courier she wanted the inquest into her father’s death re-opened.

This was soon after the new inquest into the death of anti-apartheid activist Ahmed Timol, which concluded he had been murdered after being pushed out a window of John Vorster Square police headquarters in Johannesburg in 1971.

Also read: Still looking for an answer – 50 years later

The story that he had committed suicide was proven as a cover-up by the apartheid government. Luthuli’s three remaining children believe their father, who was considered an enemy of the state, might have suffered a similar fate as the circumstances around his death did not add up.

Dr Luthuli confirmed the meeting between the NPA and the Luthuli family two weeks ago, but said that no solid plans had yet been set for an investigation.

She dismissed media reports suggesting that an investigation has begun and that the Hawks were involved in the probe.

“The meeting was merely an introduction. I had not been present but my sister and two of the chief’s grandchildren were there. Things are still in the early stages and nothing concrete has been decided.

“I also do not know of the Hawk’s involvement and they were not present at the meeting as suggested in some publications.”

Hawks spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi said he was also not aware of their involvement in the Luthuli investigation.

Although it is more than 50 years after Chief Luthuli’s death, his family seeks justice and closure from the truth.

The former president of the leading party was regarded as a rogue agent in the apartheid era and was closely watched before his death.

Also read: Zuma declares Albert Luthuli’s grave a national heritage site

“The day it happened is still fresh in my mind. It was July 21, 1967, and I was driving from Hammarsdale where I was running a surgery at the time. The radio presenter announced that my father died when he was struck by a train in our hometown, Groutville.

“I was in a complete state of shock and immediately knew that something was off. He was alive, he was not reported to have been ill, he was in his right senses and from the conditions surrounding him we surely did not believe it was an accident,” said Dr Luthuli.

The post-mortem reports were not signed and the family claim the officials conducting the inquest at the time were biased employees of the state.

A young girl from Groutville was the last to see the chief alive.

When interviewed, she reported that soon after hearing a loud noise, she saw a man standing next to Chief Luthuli’s body.

The man’s identity had never been investigated and still remains unknown.

Do you want to receive news alerts via WhatsApp? Send us a WhatsApp message (not an sms) with your name and surname to 061 718 4438.

Please read our WhatsApp broadcast list disclaimer.
Join the conversation on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram


Stay in the loop with The North Coast Courier on FacebookXInstagram & YouTube for the latest news.

Mobile users can join our WhatsApp Broadcast Service here, or if you’re on desktop, scan the QR code below.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from North Coast Courier in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button