Sole breadwinner killed in M4 hit-and-run
Left behind are Dlamini's two children, aged 12 and 16, along with her eight-month-old grandson.
The 37-year-old construction worker killed in a hit-and-run on the M4 last week was the sole breadwinner for her family.
The Philani informal settlement resident was performing pre-warning flag duty at a construction site near Desainagar when she was hit.
According to Kelsey-Jae Meyrick from IPSS Medical Rescue, Dlamini was found down an embankment about 20 metres from the impact site. Critically injured, she was airlifted to hospital, where she later died.
According to reports she was hit by a white Hyundai SUV driven by a female who did not stop.
The driver allegedly later handed herself in at the Durban North police station, however police had not confirmed this at the time of publication.
Police spokesperson Colonel Robert Netshiunda only confirmed that a case of culpable homicide is being investigated.
Dlamini leaves behind two children, a 12-year-old boy and 16-year-old daughter, as well as an eight-month-old grandson.
Her brother, Botha Jongaza, said they were excited when his sister gained employment because she was the breadwinner for her six family members.
“Now we are left with no one to support us. I am yet to find answers about the lady responsible for knocking down my sister, but want to thank the two motorists who tried chasing the lady after the incident. They are the ones who returned and informed the other workers about what happened,” said Jongaza.
The funeral service of Nomusa Dlamini was held at her family homestead in Jozini on Sunday.
Stay in the loop with The North Coast Courier on Facebook, X, Instagram & YouTube for the latest news.
Mobile users can join our WhatsApp Broadcast Service here or if you’re on desktop, scan the QR code below.
Stay in the loop with The North Coast Courier on Facebook, X, Instagram & YouTube for the latest news.
Mobile users can join our WhatsApp Broadcast Service here, or if you’re on desktop, scan the QR code below.

