‘We were robbed’ – IFP cries over by-election results
he Inkatha Freedom Party has threatened to take the matter up with the Independant Electoral Committee (IEC). Allegations are that ANC officials 'played dirty' and added votes in order for them to win the elections.

Political parties suspect foul play by the African National Congress in the Ward 3 by-elections last week Wednesday.
The Inkatha Freedom Party has threatened to take the matter up with the Independant Electoral Committee (IEC). Allegations are that ANC officials ‘played dirty’ and added votes in order for them to win the elections.
The Empisini voting station is the one where this foul play is believed to have taken place. IFP councillor Bongiwe Mbatha said, “I was not satisfied with the Empisini results – they took longer to be announced, with only 421 voters, whereas in Sithembile we had more than 1 000, but we had to wait for two hours for Empisini to finish counting 421 votes.”
She continued, saying that their party agent, who was based at the Empisini voting station, told them that there was a person who voted despite their name having been ticked off the voters’ roll. “We are busy looking into the matter, and will take it up with the IEC if need be – our officials are busy with that,” she said.
The IFP argues that there were 588 people who registered to vote in Empisini, but the voters’ roll given to the staff stated 843 people, with 43 others not on the list. A councillor said that the staff was told that the other 43 voters were to be brought in later, but that did not happen, and there were no explanations given as to why the other names were not there.
Speaking to Mbuso Ntombela of the Independent Party, he also stated that he was not happy with the way the by-elections were handled. He said, “There was carelessness by the IEC staff, and it indicates that they were not well trained, with such mistakes occurring.”
Councillor Mbatha said members of the IFP had been intimidated prior to the by-elections by the ANC, which led to other people being scared to vote as the threats escalated, especially against those from the ANC who supported the IFP. She confirmed that a case has been opened against Endumeni Speaker Sduduzo Mdluli, for firing gunshots during the campaign. She also mentioned that other members have joined the IFP.
Councillor Mbatha thanked the people of Sithembile for their support – she said it shows that they can not be ordered around, and that the ANC does not drive them crazy.
NFP candidate Bhekani Shabalala said they were happy with the way the by-elections proceeded. He said they have heard about the allegations, but they as the NFP ‘will only attend to them if there is tangible proof’. “We can only say we were happy with the results.”
However, he expressed his concerns about NFP members who were intimidated in Sithembile. He said ‘a young man burnt an NFP T-shirt’, and their members were told that they do not belong in Sithembile. He says they are not happy about this, as people have the freedom to choose to join a party of their choice.
-
Responding to the allegations, Endumeni Speaker Sduduzo Mdluli indicated that the ANC cannot interfere with the IEC’s proceedings, and the allegations would have to be confirmed with the IEC. He said the ANC participated in the by-election like every other party.
“We do not run the elections”, he said. He added that, “The ANC respects the rights of people to vote and affiliate themselves with any party of their choice. We as the ANC would have accepted it if we had lost.”
ANC wins but majority reduced in Ward 3
The ANC claimed the hotly-contested Ward 3 by-election with a reduced majority. Candidate Lungile Prudence Mbhele obtained a majority of just 50% in the poll, where only 44% of voters bothered to cast their ballots.
In 2011, previous councillor, the late Mfanafuthi Zwane, took 58% in a poll where 60% of voters registered.
Analysts told the Courier, “Not too much should be read into the result, as it was more of a showing of ANC supporters showing their dissatisfaction with the choice of candidate, rather than support for the IFP.”
The IFP candidate, Dudu Nkosi, was previously turfed out of the DA.
Full results:
Bhekani Shabalala – National Freedom Party: 198.
Dudu Nkosi – Inkatha Freedom Party: 864.
Lungile Mbhele – African National Congress: 1 099.
Vincent Ntombela – Independent: 33.



