Editor's choiceLocal newsMunicipalNews

JUST IN: Fairleigh residents attempt to shut down construction site

"We will be here everyday until we get answers."

FAIRLEIGH – From as early as 7am this morning, residents of Ward 25 displayed their grievances again in a public protest.

This time, they attempted to shut down the construction site at the Siyahlala-la Informal Settlement, where RDP houses are being built.

The protest prevented contractors from working on the site as angry residents barricaded the entrance way.

Disgruntled residents aired their concerns once more about the lack of service delivery and the alleged empty promises by their ward councillor.

“I am a widow and I have been waiting for a house in Fairleigh for 33 years. So far, I still haven’t received one,” said resident, Evelyn Geduld.

According to the residents, many people were receiving houses but claimed it was illegally acquired.

Fairleigh residents protest and demand answers.

In a memorandum handed to Ward 25, Councillor Mnqapheleni Ngcobo on May 29, residents demanded answers regarding the promised 30 per cent allocation of houses.

Cllr Ngcobo’s response was greeted with disdain on June 7 as residents walked out of the meeting before it concluded.

The Newcastle Municipality also received a second memorandum on June 19, from Fairleigh residents.

“We want the municipality to investigate our ward councillor and the ward committee for corruption,” said a resident.

The residents alleged houses were been sold by the ward committee and Cllr Ngcobo.

“The Department of Housing and the municipality failed to respond to our memorandum. This shows that they do not care,” added the resident.

The angry crowd unanimously agreed to continue protesting until their concerns were addressed.

“We will be here everyday until we get answers. The only way they will listen is if we close down the site,” he concluded.

Police officials were on scene to subdue the crowd as they continued to protest.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Leave your comments below.

 

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Northern Natal News in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button