MunicipalNews

Municipality apologises to Suryaville residents

"The contractor is currently a little behind programme with Lennoxton and as a result, the timing is not precisely defined."

The municipality has said ‘sorry’ for water disruptions in Suryaville.

In March, residents approached the media in relation to a series of water outages, which left them without water for hours at a time.

One residents expressed fury at not being able to bath at times.

ALSO READ: Municipality breaks silence on roads

Others lambasted the municipality for not extending prior notice of water cuts to residents, and otherwise handling the situation poorly.

“I asked for a tanker to be dispatched on Tuesday, and the call centre woman said no one was there to authorise that. We are very frustrated.”

Weeks later, the municipality apologised to affected residents of Suryaville and provided an explanation of its intent with the project.

Officials said it was meant to replaced old water infrastructure in the area.

Noting positives, the municipality said Suryaville had been prioritised and work was expected to commence in a few months’ time.

“The contractor is currently a little behind programme with Lennoxton and as a result, the timing is not precisely defined.”

Residents were cautioned the construction work could bring further disruptions to water supply, and also informed of the appointment of a Community Liaison Officer (CLO) from the area.

This CLO can address residents’ concerns and give relevant information.

“Residents should also prepare themselves for disruptions to driveways, gardens etc. and to communicate with the CLO in this regard.”

On the matter of water tankers, the municipality said these were only provided when outages extended beyond six hours.

Officials said this was ‘very rare’.

The municipal water tanker was said to be utilised full-time to provide water to rural residents with no supply of potable water.

“This takes up the budgets for water tankers, and only in an emergency situation where there is an extended outage, will tankers be deployed.”

Suryaville residents were also urged to store water within a clean, closed container in preparation for breaks in service delivery.

ALSO READ: MUST READ: Local roads are in a rut

The municipality also commented on alleged littering by employees.

Officials said workers were supervised by artisans and foremen, but noted a general culture of littering throughout Newcastle.

“The culture has not changed as we hoped it would. We will have to keep working towards that end.”

 

Also remember to visit our FacebookTwitter and Instagram pages.

Add us on WhatsApp today! 082 874 5550

Remember to read our WhatsApp disclaimer.

You can also email our offices on Reveshni Douglas at reveshni@caxton.co.za or newsun@caxton.co.za Bruce Douglas at Newed2@caxton.co.za Tersia Gopi at newed@caxton.co.za Zianne Leibrandt at ncschools@caxton.co.za

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Northern Natal News in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button