Residents say Paterson Street pleas are falling on deaf ears
Residents call for municipal help as flooding, poor roads and crime concerns persist on Paterson Street.
Paterson Street residents living in the railway houses say they are becoming increasingly frustrated with poor road conditions, flooding and safety concerns, claiming that their calls for assistance from the municipality have gone unanswered.
Residents say road has deteriorated
At the centre of their concerns is a small dirt road just off Paterson Street, which provides access to about six homes.
Residents say the road has deteriorated significantly in recent months, making it difficult to travel to and from their homes, particularly during periods of heavy rain.
Mr Singh, who reported the matter to the Newcastle Advertiser, said that recent rainfall left the road flooded and extremely muddy, creating hazardous driving conditions.
“We have been reporting this to the municipality for months. A while ago, we had a visit from a municipal official, who promised they would lay gravel to assist us. They came out and flattened the road, and then promised they would return to lay the gravel, but they never came back. “Now our calls go unanswered or, if they are answered, we are just given empty promises,” said Singh.
The delays have left him and his neighbours feeling frustrated and neglected, with residents questioning why commitments were made if they were not going to be fulfilled.
Vacant land raises safety concerns
A vacant piece of land behind the homes is another source of concern, according to Mr Singh, who claims the area is being used by criminals who target nearby homes.
“They are constantly breaking into our yards and stealing our stuff to sell quickly to support their drug habits. All of this contributes to our worries and our sense of unease and insecurity on a daily basis. We need the municipality to start looking after us and address these problems,” he said.
The Newcastle Advertiser contacted the municipality on Friday, July 31, regarding the concerns raised by the Paterson Street residents.
However, no formal response had been received at the time of going to press.
The news provided to you in this link has been investigated and compiled by the editorial staff of the Newcastle Advertiser, a sold newspaper distributed in the Newcastle area. Please follow us on Youtube and feel free to like, comment, and subscribe. For more local news, visit our webpage, follow us on Facebook and Twitter, and follow us on our WhatsApp Channel



