LettersOpinion

Colita community’s rights have been violated

I think you will remember that no person who lives in South African should feel unsafe and that is exactly what the acts of this criminal have done to all those who are victims

In response to the letter entitled Human rights violation in Colita – justice system has failed (Estcourt News – March 2, page 6).
After reading this letter, I felt the urgent need to respond to these insinuations and insults.

READ THE LETTER HERE: Human rights violation in Colita – justice system has failed

Firstly, I am born and brought up in Colita and I think it will satisfy the Prince if someone who was born and brought up in Colita responded to his letter. “Never in history was there anything like this in Colita…” You are so right Prince Trollip but you forgot to mention that there have been worse incidents in Colita where African people were previously victims of mob justice.

As I write this response, I will quote instances where mob justice is all that helped the community of Colita be at ease, to live in their homes without fear until the drugs invaded our community and has led our youth to do anything, even break into homes and steal from members of the community.

ALSO READ: BREAKING NEWS: Colita community apprehend alleged thief

Prince Trollip, you should report to the Human Rights Commission that the rights of all whose homes have been broken into have also been violated.

I think you will remember that no person who lives in South African should feel unsafe and that is exactly what the acts of this criminal have done to all those who are victims of his criminal behaviour.

The Freedom Charter clearly states: “All people shall have the right to live where they choose, to be decently housed, and to bring up their families in comfort and security.”

So, Prince Trollip is our right to live in comfort, securely, not being violated, when your relative comes to break into our house at night while we sleep or during the day when we go to work to make a decent living for ourselves?

Which leaders were supposed to be warned, Prince? Are you saying that these criminals informed so-called leaders before performing crimes? Is stealing our televisions in our homes not traumatising the toddlers who rely on TV for education purposes? Mind you, even those of us who have been stolen from pay tax and will assist the police in protecting our community if needs be. Who are the real residents, Mr Prince? Because as far as I know majority of the people who came out in their numbers are title deed carrying members of the community. Please define ‘real residents.’

Which barbaric act are you referring to because I can quote a few acts that have happened in Colita, which were worse that barbaric and you, Prince have not taken it upon yourself to defend the affected people as you suddenly do now when the community hits closer to home. In February 2016, a young girl was brutally murdered in Colita and cut into pieces and some of her body parts were found in Colita. To date not all her body parts have been found and the Prince said nothing.

RELATED LETTER: Colita’s suspected thief is now a victim

An old lady was raped in Colita and the Prince said nothing. A six-month-old baby was raped in Colita and the Prince was quiet. A young boy who was also born and brought up in Colita was shot dead in his yard, right outside his house, directly opposite the Prince’s house and the Prince did not run to the media.

Now I ask myself, which act was more brutal than the act of a criminal being dealt with by an angry community? You should have asked before running to the media because the people whose items were stolen have opened cases and even have case numbers and the very same criminal on the day that the community took action against him, went from house to house of people whom he had sold the stuff to and some people gave back the stuff.

So what clean are you talking about? The same criminal has even sold items to people in Rensburg and those items were recovered.
Again Prince, I plead with you to please check facts before running to the media.

The hatred that has been caused in the community is the hatred of one family that is defending a criminal from a community that has had enough of being victims of crime. You say; “We built Colita from nothing and you came here yesterday…” Please Prince, think and speak like you are the leader you claim to be.

Colita in the apartheid era was a coloured area, so are you referring to African people of you say those who came yesterday because if you are, then you are guilty of violating the rights of African people. We are ready to face the law and mind you, the law is not one-sided.

We will stand together as a community and fight crime in our community and protect our right to live safely in this country. If you feel that a known criminal’s rights have been violated, then what do you think of the people who have been victims for years? Are their rights not being violated? I think you equally need to be educated about all our rights in this country and not protect criminals and scare us with the Human Rights Commission because we also know our rights.

Enough is enough Prince; don’t scratch us where it is not itchy.

Concerned Resident

Click to receive news links via WhatsApp. Or for the latest news, visit our webpage or follow us on Facebook and Twitter

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Northern Natal News in Google News and Top Stories.

Sihle Ntenjwa

A journalist at Caxton Local Media, contributing to Estcourt and Midlands News. Passionate and dedicated to his craft, Sihle has quickly made a name for himself since arriving in Estcourt in late 2023. His commitment to storytelling and community journalism has earned him recognition for keeping readers informed with compelling and accurate local news

Related Articles

Back to top button