Local newsNews

Mother says no sentence can heal loss of son

Judgment was postponed till August 26.

“There is no justice for me or my son. No court sentence can bring him back, nor give me peace or healing. My son was killed for no reason.”


Speaking to the Parys Gazette about her painful loss, Kelebogile Nnete, mother of 15-year-old Tshireletso, stood outside the Parys Magistrate’s Court on Monday with other community members, awaiting the outcome of the judgment against the 43-year-old accused charged with Tshireletso’s murder.


Tshireletso, a Grade 10 learner at Yakhisizwe Secondary School, was playing soccer with other children in the street when he and another boy were allegedly assaulted by the accused in front of a group of children. Tshireletso succumbed to his injuries on March 5, 2025.


The accused later handed himself over to the police.


Mina Maine, whose son was also caught up in the attack, previously told the Gazette that her child was the stronger of the two boys and was fortunate to escape the attack.


Kelebogile strongly denied earlier rumours alleging that the accused’s son had been bullied. She said Tshireletso and the boy attended different schools and had never played together before the tragic incident.

Tshireletso Nnete's mother, Kelebogile, who came to court on Monday. Photo: Liezl Scheepers
Tshireletso Nnete’s mother, Kelebogile, who came to court on Monday. Photo: Liezl Scheepers

In May this year, community members handed a memorandum and petition, containing 2 387 signatures from parents, teachers, business owners and community leaders, to the manager of the Parys
Magistrate’s Court. The petition addressed violence against women and children, as well as drug dealing in communities.


The community called on the court to act decisively for the sake of children, families and their future.

Members of the community who gathered at the Parys Magistrate's Court on Monday. 
Photo: Liezl Scheepers
Members of the community who gathered at the Parys Magistrate’s Court on Monday.
Photo: Liezl Scheepers

Judgment was postponed till August 26.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Parys Gazette in Google News and Top Stories.

Liezl Scheepers

Liezl Scheepers is editor of the Parys Gazette, a local community newspaper distributed in the towns of Parys, Vredefort and Viljoenskroon. As an experienced community journalist in all fields for the past 30 years, she has a passion for her community, and has been actively involved in several community outreach projects as part of Parys Gazette's team.

Related Articles

Back to top button