The suspects who were wearing balaclavas are still at large. File photo.
Three people were robbed after they stopped their bakkie because a big rock was obstructing the road between Zuurbekom and Cooke 3 last Friday morning (15 January).
According to Sergeant Linkie Lefakane, the Bekkersdal Police spokesperson, “They brought the vehicle to a stop to remove the rock but suddenly three unknown men wearing balaclavas appeared. They threatened them with firearms and robbed them of an undisclosed amount of money,” Lefakane said.
She said a case of armed robbery had been opened, but the suspects, however, were still at large.
Lieutenant Colonel Andile Moshani, the acting Bekkersdal Police station commander advised the public to refrain from carrying huge sums of money with them, and rather use of electronic or other means of payment instead of putting their own lives in danger.
At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!
For more than 4 and a half years, Clinton Botha was a journalist at Roodepoort Record. His articles were regularly published in the Northside Chronicle now known as the Roodepoort Northsider. Clinton is also the editor of Randfontein Herald since July 2020. As a sports fanatic he wormed his way into various "beats - as the media would know it - and admits openly that his big love always have something to do with a scoreboard, crowds and usually a ball that hops.