Although the Herald was informed that only one spaza shop had been looted in Mohlakeng, management of Shoprite: Usave in the township said rioters also had broken into their store.
Also read: #ZumaUnrest in Rand West City: Only one shop looted, police in control
Lerato Mathabathe, branch manager of Mohlakeng Shoprite: Usave confirmed to the Herald that their store was looted at around 18:20 on Monday, July 12.
They managed to break our front glass door, and stole items such as ovens, chicken braai packs and maize, but they could not get through to our officers. They thought we kept money on your tills, which we don’t,” Mathabathe said.
Their equipment was also damaged during the incident.
“We haven’t recovered anything yet, and at this stage we can’t estimate the loss. We are going to do stocktaking soon to determine just how much we’ve lost, so that our insurance can come through to assist us,” Mathabathe said.
She said luckily none of their four staff members were at the store during the break-in.
Brenda Mahuma, RWCLM Executive Mayor who visited the store with her entourage, the Randfontein Police and community leaders in the area advised local business to be alert and beef up their security.
We would like to urge business also to make sure that they double their efforts of communicating with the police on groups to bring this under control,” Mahuma added.



