R16 million on takeaways for overtime Tshwane workers
The Tshwane metro allegedly spent R16 million on takeaway meals for overtime workers in August last year.

The Tshwane metro spent R16 million on takeaway meals for overtime workers in August last year, the municipal public account portfolio committee heard on Friday.
Councillor Bronwyn Engelbrecht of the Democratic Alliance expressed alarm over the figure this week.
“I was shocked when I heard the particulars about this dubious tender. The tender is for the supply, delivery and off-loading of stand-by food parcels. When I requested clarity about the terminology ‘stand-by food parcels’ we were informed it was takeaway food for overtime staff members.”
She said the DA had requested a full disclosure report and requested details about the department and the overtime staff who had received these takeaways.
“It seems incomprehensible that R16 million could be spent in one month for takeaway food! Imagine the amount of takeaway food that could be bought for R16 million. Somebody has clearly benefited from this tender.”
Engelbrecht said questions about tenders were only allowed a year after they had been awarded. The R16 million expense on takeaways in August 2013 had been released now in the supply chain management performance report.
“In a city where many homeless people live without the bare necessities of water and electricity it is totally unacceptable for R16 million to be wasted on takeaways for employees who receive additional remuneration for overtime. There is absolutely no justification to pay for takeaway food,” she said.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
