MunicipalNews

Woman left in the dark

A woman is angry after spending hours on the phone trying to sort out electricity woes.

A Pretoria North resident spent last weekend in darkness, with no warm water and food going to waste in the fridge because the Tshwane metro cut off her power by mistake.

Marianda Schlebusch said the Tshwane metro claimed she was R7716 in arrears on her electricity bill and cut off her power supply.

Schlebusch insisted this was not possible as her electricity ran on a prepaid meter. She said she had been living in her house in Suider Street for three years and never received an electricity account from the Tshwane metro.

Schlebusch phoned the metro to explain that the name on the account and the rates and taxes number were not hers.

The metro admitted the mistake after a call that lasted 37 minutes, she said. She was assured her power would be switched on the same evening before 22:00.

On Friday evening, there was a small explosion in the power box at her house. Schlebusch said she saw loose cables that appeared to be live, leaking electricity.

On Saturday morning, Schlebusch was still without power. She made another call to the metro and said she was told to be patient as there were not enough technicians available.

She said being without power was especially difficult for a woman with a two-month-old baby currently living with her.

Schlebusch said technicians only arrived after another telephone call. The power box was repaired but the electricity not switched on.

By Monday morning, Schlebusch was furious, and called the metro again. She said she was told the power would be back once the outstanding amount was paid.

After spending three more hours on the phone to the metro, the mistake was admitted. She said she was promised her power would be switched back on right away.

But this did not happen. Schlebusch said she was told the power would only be switched back on in 48 hours.

This happened only after 72 hours.

Comment from the Tshwane metro could not be obtained immediately.

Marianda Schlebusch and her daughter Maria with Monica Morobe and baby Simphiwe Morobe, after their weekend without power.
Marianda Schlebusch and her daughter Maria with Monica Morobe and baby Simphiwe Morobe, after their weekend without power.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

Like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter.

Read: Imminent switch of households to Smart Prepaid Electricity

City busy recouping millions in electricity arrears

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button