Local newsNews

UPDATE: Cops use water cannons in city

Police had their hands full to keep EFF away from DA supporters.

Police used water cannons in Pretoria on Wednesday to disperse protesters burning tyres and threatening passing motorists.

38f57f74-73f3-475d-94b8-89a9d65155ce
Photo: Reitumetse Mahope
41837d3d-bc3e-44c9-9d99-cb87c35cbe7b
Photo: Reitumetse Mahope

The disorder was sparked by three mass marches through city streets.

The EFF, the DA and Save South Africa organised the action to press for, among other things, the resignations of President Jacob and National Prosecuting Authority head Shaun Abrahams.

The city was hit by some chaotic scenes as motorists were being directed out of the central business district (CBD). Thousands of marchers were occupying several streets.

Metro police spokesperson Senior Superintendent Isaac Mahamba said the CBD was “dysfunctional” by noon.

“Different EFF groups are marching in different streets in all directions. People, especially motorists, should avoid the CBD,” he said.

“Sunnyside and Arcadia may also be affected by the marchers, as there are two groups heading that direction. The department urges people to avoid those areas as well.”

Mahamba added the police were worried about the safety of the public.

“Hence people are advised not to go to the inner city or Sunnyside and Arcadia. Currently there is no violence. The situation is being monitored.”

Earlier in the day, EFF members charged at a man when they blocked off Madiba Street.

Police and the metro police had their hands full at some stage to keep EFF members away from DA  supporters.

A police helicopter was used to keep an eye from the sky on the protesters.

Watch videos:


!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],p=/^http:/.test(d.location)?’http’:’https’;if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=p+”://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js”;fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,”script”,”twitter-wjs”);

Also read:

UPDATE: Four arrested in mass marches

EFF to march in Novemeber

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 072 435 7717.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Corné van Zyl

Corné van Zyl is a seasoned journalist and currently a senior reporter at Rekord, with a wealth of experience across various media platforms. She began her career after studying journalism at the Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) and first honed her skills at Media24. Corné’s career took her to Beeld, Sondag newspaper, and the South African Press Association (SAPA), where she built a strong foundation in news reporting. In her free time, Corné enjoys spending time with her family outdoors, embracing life and creating lasting memories with her loved ones.
Back to top button