US Embassy donates PPEs to SANDF
“This donation of potentially life-saving masks is indicative of the respect and value we hold for our partnership with South Africa and SANDF’s Military Health Service.”

The US Embassy’s defense cooperation in South Africa, donated 12 400 protective masks to the South African National Defence Force’s (SANDF) health service to assist the country’s efforts to combat Covid-19.
Last week, US ambassador Lana Marks said the embassy donated internationally approved filtering facepiece particles (FFP2) respirator masks amongst the safest in the health industry.
“This donation of potentially life-saving masks is indicative of the respect and value we hold for our partnership with South Africa and SANDF’s military health service.
“Their Covid-19 response has been commendable and we support them on this crucial mission of supporting the people of South Africa,” Marks said.
US Navy Captain Steven Morgenfeld, said the PPEs would provide some protection to the frontline workers and enhance the SANDF’s capabilities in the fight to curb the spread of Covid-19.
“SANDF and the military health service are key components of the national Covid-19 response. The United States Department of Defense is excited to assist our South African partners by procuring locally-sourced PPE.
“We hope this cements the strong relationship we share, and that the PPE will save South African lives,” Morgenfeld said.
The donation comes as national treasury is set to seek coronavirus relief aid from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the World Bank.
On Friday, Finance Minister Tito Mboweni said the IMF indicated SA was eligible for up to $4.2 billion.
This after President Cyril Ramaphosa announced that the country would need about R500 billion to respond to economic pressures posed by Covid-19.
Notice: Coronavirus reporting at Caxton Local Media aims to combat fake news.
Dear reader,
As your local news provider, we have the duty of keeping you factually informed on Covid-19 developments. As you may have noticed, mis- and disinformation (also known as “fake news”) is circulating online. Caxton Local Media is determined to filter through the masses of information doing the rounds and to separate truth from untruth in order to keep you adequately informed. Local newsrooms follow a strict pre-publication fact-checking protocol. A national task team has been established to assist in bringing you credible news reports on Covid-19.
Readers with any comments or queries may contact National Group Editor Irma Green (irma@caxton.co.za) or Legal Adviser Helene Eloff (helene@caxton.co.za).
Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
