Akasia dad who shot ‘attacker’, warns of dangers in CBD
Erich Landsberg shot and wounded an alleged attacker on Friday in Pretoria Central

A case of attempted murder is being investigated against a father from Akasia, after he allegedly shot and injured a man in Pretoria Central.
Erich Landsberg, whose identity was previously withheld, told Rekord about the alleged attack near the SARS main building on the corner of Francis Baard and Lillian Ngoyi streets.
“The case of attempted murder is standard procedure, because I had shot the suspect,” said Landsberg.
He was in the CBD on Friday last week, when he was allegedly attacked by three men, one armed with a knife.
Landsberg, who had for several years been an active member of the Amandasig Action Group in Akasia, said nothing had prepared him for the attack.
“I am just really thankful that my wife and our baby were not with me at the time.”
Describing the reported attack, Landsberg said: “I was at the SARS office around 14:00, and at 14:54 I walked out to my car.
“I had just put some papers down on the seat, when three men attacked – pinning me between the seat and open door of the car.”
Landsberg said a struggle ensued between him and the assailants.
“One was threatening me with a knife, demanding money. As one of the men tried to grab my phone from me, I punched him in the face. His friend then shouted: ‘Stab him! Stab him!’.”
Landsberg said he was lucky the knife of the attacker only grazed him and he quickly got out his firearm to defend himself, firing a “warning shot”, which hit one of the assailants.
“The bullet went through his arm and into his side.”
The three would-be robbers fled the scene without any loot.
“They ran down Van der Walt (Lillian Ngoyi) Street, where they abandoned the one that was injured,” he said.
“At 14:55 I called 10111 without success, and got in my car to go find help.”
Landsberg said a block away he found a TMPD officer.
“I pulled over, opened the passenger door saying: ‘Get in, I just shot someone’.”
Landsberg praised the TMPD officer and other members for their assistance and quick response on the scene.
“The other two who attacked me unfortunately escaped. Their hats, masks and other clothing were strewn across the road as they ran away.”
The injured suspect was taken to hospital.
Police confirmed a case was reported at Central police station, but could not confirm before publication whether more arrests were made.
Landsberg warned people to be wary of criminals in Central Pretoria.
“I was told by witnesses of the attack that the same three men who tried to rob me, have allegedly robbed other people in the same area. Best advice for anyone is to be vigilant and ready to react in any situation,” he concluded.
Do you have more information about the story?
Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
