CPF concerned over armed gang in the Capital City
“I am afraid to go to any business around the area because I do not want to be next to die at the hands of heartless criminals,” says a resident.
Sunnyside CPF chairperson Sandile Dube has called on all Arcadia residents and various organisations to come together and fight against a new trend of violent crimes.
Members of the community have raised concerns following reports of two robberies within a period of three days last week.
As a result of the violent crime, the 41-year-old manager of a supermarket in Arcadia was shot dead during the latest robbery incident last Wednesday.
It was reported that the previous incident was a robbery at a furniture shop where the criminals robbed the employees of some electrical equipment.
READ MORE: Crime and lack of preventative maintenance to blame for no lights
“Since joining the CPF in the last 10 years, it is the first time I hear about robberies in the business area along Steve Biko Drive in Arcadia,” Dube told Rekord.
“I call upon all Arcadia residents, businesses and other relevant organisations to work together with police and community policing forum in the area,” Dube said.
He also said he requested sector 2 CPF chairperson Themba Dindi to call for an urgent meeting to discuss the problem so they could come up with possible solutions.
“One of the issues to be under discussion is the preparation of a crime awareness campaign that will make people aware of the problem before they become victims.”
He said he believes it was important to deal with the problem while it is still at the beginning stage.
“If we wait too long, we might find ourselves in a situation where things get out of control.”
Some members of the community said they were living in fear.
“I am afraid to go to any business around the area because I do not want to be next to die at the hands of heartless criminals,” one of the residents, who preferred to remain anonymous, said.
An employee who worked at one of the local businesses said he was afraid to come to work.
“I am seriously afraid to come here. I just work in this area because I have no alternative option,” he said.
Sunnyside police spokesperson Captain Daniel Mavimbela confirmed the robbery incident that led to the death of a person and said the police were on the lookout for suspects.
“There is definitely a manhunt,” he said.
Do you have more information about the story?
Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
