Bogus electricity resellers remanded in custody
The syndicate reportedly operated in groups nationally and generated and income of approximately R150 000 to R250 000 per day from the illicit sales of electricity.
Six of the seven suspects who were arrested for allegedly being responsible for large-scale pre-paid electricity fraud and theft were remanded in police custody after appearing in court last week.
Sibusiso Alfred Migai (33), Sipho Joseph Mdlalose (38), Phindile Florence Mdlalose (28), Donald Vusumuzi Rammusi (32), Magala Petros Mohapi (42) and Victor Mdlalose (67) are facing charges of fraud and theft.

The arrests were made during the first phase of a project-driven investigation by the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation, also known as the Hawks, at several premises in Gauteng on Thursday.
The investigation was also carried out alongside with Eskom Investigators, Hawks Digital Forensic Investigation, Tactical Response Team, Public Order Policing and the local criminal record centre.

“The case against the ghost-vending accused has been postponed to Friday, June 18 for consultation and Friday, June 25 for formal bail applications,” spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Philani Nkwalase said.
At the time of the arrest, Nkwalase said the syndicate reportedly operated in groups nationally and generated an income of approximately R150 000 to R250 000 per day from the illicit sales of electricity.
Do you have more information about the story?
Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
