Case against man who raped two minors in Pretoria hotel postponed
The man was arrested last year and faces charges of rape and kidnapping two minors, aged 11 and 13.
The case against a man accused of raping two minor girls, aged 11 and 13, at a Pretoria hotel was again postponed due to DNA results report still being outstanding.
The 45-year-old man appeared at the Pretoria magistrate’s court on Tuesday morning. The case was postponed to July 26.
The man was arrested last year November and remains behind bars, facing two charges of rape and kidnapping of minors.
READ MORE: Pretoria hotel minors rape case postponed – yet again
National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) North Gauteng spokesperson Lumka Mahanjana said the postponement was to allow further investigations in the case.
“We are waiting for DNA as well as social development reports,” she said.
At the time when the man was arrested for double rape of minors, he was out on parole. He was serving a seven-year sentence for rape.
The mother of one of the girls who cannot be named to protect the identity of the child said she was worried over the postponements.
“The case has been postponed since last year. As families, we are anxious over this because we would like to see the matter concluded soon.
“The children were taken to hospital immediately after the incident, so we do not know what could be causing the delay in the DNA results report,” she said.
The mother of the 11-year-old victim said she saw the accused for the first time on Tuesday as during previous appearances the families missed the proceedings.
“Due to Covid-19 restrictions, the court staff would ask us to step outside when the case related to us has not been heard. The problem is that when the accused appears we would not be called.”
She said going to court was an emotional journey.
“The child is slowly healing but she still is shaken by the incident. Sometimes she suffers from having nightmares. At times I see that she isolates herself and is deep in her thoughts.
“It is a painful journey, but we are taking it step by step.”
Do you have more information about the story?
Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
