Traffic cops make more taxi violence-related arrests
"It is hardly a week since the arrest of a suspect linked to serial killings in the taxi industry."
Four suspects believed to be involved in violence in the taxi industry were arrested by law enforcement officers attached to the Gauteng traffic police’s public transportation intervention unit last week.
The suspects have arrested in the Orlando, Soweto policing precinct on Thursday evening.
The arrests come hot on the heels of the arrest of a suspect who was allegedly linked to “serial killings” in the often volatile and violent industry.
GTP spokesperson Sello Maremane said the four suspects were arrested following a shootout between two rival taxi associations after a dispute over routes.
“The GTP is concerned by ongoing violence in the taxi industry. It is hardly a week since the arrest of a suspect linked to serial killings in the taxi industry,” he said.
Maremane said the suspects were nabbed when a shootout ensued between the Nanduwe and Wata associations over a dispute on routes in Soweto, which reportedly resulted in minibuses being severely damaged by stones and hard objects.
“The GTP responded swiftly and arrested the four suspects in Orlando and confiscated about four high calibre rifles,” he said.
Several people were also said to have been injured in the shootout which took place at the Wata offices.
The suspects face charges relating to attempted murder, illegal possession of firearms and malicious damage to property.
“The law enforcement authorities will not tolerate any lawlessness in the taxi industry as it threatens the lives of ordinary citizens,” Maremane said, adding that they wished those who were injured a speedy recovery.
Last week, the GTP arrested a male suspect who was allegedly linked to a series of killings in the industry in Katlehong, Ekurhuleni.
The 37-year-old was allegedly linked to a fatal incident that occurred outside the Pretoria pathology services.
A shootout ensued and led to the shooting and killing of an elderly man and injury of two officers and the arrest of several suspects.
At the time of the arrest, he was found in possession of an unlicenced firearm and live ammunition.
He faced charges related to murder, illegal possession of firearm and live ammunition.
Do you have more information about the story?
Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
