CrimeLocal newsNews

Most wanted duo busted in Olievenhoutbosch

The duo was allegedly linked to several cases of murder, house and business robbery in Olievenhoutbosch and surrounding areas.

Two of the most wanted suspects in the province were arrested by Gauteng police in Cosmo City, Johannesburg, on Tuesday.

Provincial police spokesperson Captain Mavela Masondo said the duo had allegedly been terrorising the community of Olievenhoutbosch and surrounding areas.

They were also linked to several cases of murder, house- and business robberies.

Firearm seized. Photo: SAPS

“The intervention unit team had been working tirelessly to trace the suspects when they received information about the possible hideout of one of the wanted suspects,” he said.

Masondo said it was during a ministerial imbizo held in May when provincial police commissioner Lieutenant-General Elias Mawela established the intervention unit in a bid to hunt down the suspects terrorising the Olievenhoutbosch community as well as other criminals in the area.

“An intelligence-driven operation was launched and one suspect was traced to Cosmo City, where he was found and arrested,” he said, adding the suspect was found in possession of a firearm.

The firearm was reportedly linked to an Olievenhoutbosch docket.

“After interviewing him, the suspect took the unit to another place where the second suspect jumped through a window to escape,” Masondo said.

The second suspect was, however, subsequently arrested.

Photo: SAPS

An unlicensed firearm loaded with ammunition was also found in his possession.

Acting provincial police commissioner Major General Tommy Mthombeni congratulated the team for working around the clock to ensure the suspects were brought to book.

“This is a breakthrough for the intervention team that has been formed to trace and arrest these wanted suspects. These arrests will help us to close most cases of robberies linked to them,” Mthombeni said.

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button