CrimeLocal newsNews

Five arrested in retail store armed robberies

One of the alleged perpetrators was shot and killed during a shootout with police.

Five people were arrested in connection with two separate retail store armed robberies on Sunday.

Eight firearms and goods valued at more than R200 000 were also recovered, according to police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Mavela Masondo.

“In the first incident, about 10 armed suspects entered a shop at Soshanguve Crossing Mall where they held employees at gunpoint and took cellphones, laptops, clothes and an undisclosed amount of cash,” he said.

Police and private security officers, following up on leads, found the suspects in The Orchards, Akasia.

“The suspects fired at the police and a shootout ensued,” he said.

One person was fatally wounded and two others were arrested.

“Police recovered items that were stolen from the shop,” Masondo said.

Five arrested in retail store armed robberies
Photo: SAPS

In the second incident, he said about three armed people stormed into a shop and took around 40 new cellphones.

“Again, the team consisting of members from the SAPS and DBK Risk Management followed information and arrested three suspects,” he said.

Six unlicensed firearms were recovered along with at least 35 phones, believed to have been taken during the robbery.

The firearms will be taken for ballistic tests to establish whether they could be linked to other crimes.

ALSO READ: Two suspected robbers arrested in Laudium, weapons recovered

Photo: SAPS

All five would face charges of business robbery, attempted murder, possession of unlicensed firearms and ammunition.

The possibility of more charges being added had not been ruled out.

ALSO READ: Police nab 350 in rainy weekend, more firearms recovered

Meanwhile, provincial police spokesperson Lieutenant General Elias Mawela commended the police and security officers who made the arrests within a few hours of the robberies.

“I am proud of my members and security guards who worked together to arrest these alleged perpetrators that are believed to be targeting retail stores in our province,” he said.

“The arrested might help us to close most of the cases where retail shops were robbed.”

In Johannesburg, four people were arrested for dealing in counterfeit goods during a multi-disciplinary operation at the weekend.

Counterfeit goods valued at R9,7-million were also seized.

“On Saturday, February 5, the team comprising of SAPS officers from Public Order Policing, Visible Policing, police reservists along with officials from SARS Customs, Prasa, Johannesburg EMS, ER24, and various brand projectors operationalised information that had been collected on the shops are not complying with the Counterfeit Goods Act,” provincial police spokesperson Brigadier Brenda Muridili said.

“They executed search warrants issued by the Johannesburg magistrate’s court on February 4 at Dragon City, Crown Mines and Mint Streets in Fordsburg.”

Five arrested in retail store armed robberies
Photo: SAPS

She said 19 400 items including sneakers, clothes, handbags, watches, and perfumes were seized.

Lieutenant General Mawela said the only way crime levels in the province could be reduced was through a multiplicity of resources, community, and social partnerships.

Photo: SAPS

He added that the operation was indicative of the successes which could be achieved.

“These arrests should serve as a reminder that, as the police, we will continue to stamp the authority of the state and ensure that we protect the growth of the economy in this province. These illicit activities are basically robbing the legitimate brand owners of their revenue,” he said.

All four people were expected to appear in court soon or have an R2 000 fine imposed on them if they failed to appear.

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button