CrimeLocal newsNews

‘Number 1 Tsotsi’ in Mams, accomplices await sentencing

Four men accused of killing businessman Wandile Bozwana were recently convicted.

The Pretoria High court convicted long-time suspect “Vusi Khekhe” for killing businessman Wandile Bozwana.

Accused Vusi Reginald Mathibela (36), also known as taxi boss “Vusi Khekhe”, was convicted together with Sipho Patrick Hudla (40), Matamela Robert Mutapa (46) and Bonginkosi Paul Khumalo (42) last week Thursday.

All four men were found guilty of premeditated murder, attempted murder, and possession of firearms and ammunition.

“On October 2, 2015, Hudla, Mutapa, and Khumala, followed the deceased from Mandela Square in Sandton where he was with his business associate Betty Mpho Baloyi, on instruction by Mathibela,” said Gauteng regional NPA spokesperson Lumka Mahanjana.

He said the deceased and Baloyi were leaving Sandton to drive back to Pretoria, in Baloyi’s car and she was driving.

“The three men followed them until they reached the Garsfontein off-ramp where the traffic lights were red.

“The three men got out of the BMW they were driving, started shooting at Baloyi’s car and then fled the scene,” said Mahanjana.

Both the deceased and Baloyi were shot; however, Baloyi managed to drive until she stopped at Garsfontein Road when police and emergency services arrived.

Mahanjana said Bozwana and Baloyi were taken to the nearest hospital, where he later died due to multiple gunshot wounds.

Vusi Reginald ‘Khekhe’ Mathibela (36) was convicted together with Sipho Patrick Hudla (40), Matamela Robert Mutapa (46) and Bonginkosi Paul Khumalo (42) last week Thursday.

All four men were arrested between 2015 and 2016. Three of the four men have been in custody since their arrest.

However, Mathibela was granted R50 000 bail in December 2016, after he handed himself over at the Brooklyn police station, in January 2016.

He was then re-arrested in 2019 after he violated his bail conditions, which were revoked and his bail money was forfeited to the state.

He has been in custody since then.

All four men pleaded not guilty to the charges against them.

Advocate Jennifer Cronje presented evidence to prove the guilt of the four men beyond reasonable doubt and that all four men had a common purpose in killing the deceased.

The Director of Public Prosecution, advocate Mzinyathi, welcomed the conviction and praised the outstanding work by investigating officer Sergeant Evans Butso Mongwe who started investigating the matter after the incident in 2015.

The matter was postponed until August 4 for sentencing.

ALSO READ: ‘Victim’ fuming as shooter is released without his knowledge

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button