Itireleng culpable murder case postponed to next week
According to NPA reports it is alleged that on the evening of August 27, the two women locked the five children inside their shack, at Itireleng settlement, near Laudium, and went to a nearby tavern.
A mother and grandmother will appear in court on September 5 for bail application and are charged with the death of five children in a shack fire in their home at the weekend.
The mother Zanele Machaka (37) of three and grandmother Lindiwe Machaka (39) of two of the five children (aged 1, 2, 4, 6 and 7) who burnt beyond recognition while locked in a shack, went out to the local tavern.
They briefly appeared in the Atteridgeville magistrate’s court on Tuesday.
They have been remanded in custody.
The shack fire that broke out in Itireleng informal settlement in Laudium, west of Pretoria around 04:26 on Sunday, allegedly claimed three boys and two girls on the morning of August 27.
National Prosecuting Authority Pretoria spokesperson Lumka Mahanjana said the pair was arrested in the tavern and later charged with “five counts of culpable homicide, for the death of five children”.
She said Lindiwe was the grandmother to two children aged 1 and 2, while Zanele was the mother to the remainder.
According to Mahanjana, it is alleged that on the evening of August 27, the two women locked the children inside their shack in Itireleng and went to a nearby tavern.
“It is alleged that, while the two were still out, the shack caught fire and all the children burnt and died on the scene.”
Mahanjana said that the two women were arrested at the tavern the same day and have been remanded in custody.

She said the case against the pair was postponed for September 5, for a formal bail application.
According to Tshwane emergency services spokesperson, Deputy Chief Charles Mabaso, the fire was reported around 04:26 and firefighters arrived on the scene to find multiple shacks on fire.
Mabaso said they started the firefighting operations immediately, however, it was too late to rescue the children.
“They were found after the fire had been extinguished, and were burnt beyond recognition.”
According to Mabaso, the victims included two sisters.
“The three boys were aged two, four, and six.”
Mabaso said the women had allegedly left the children in one of the shacks the previous night to go out.
“The circumstances surrounding the cause of the fire are being investigated.”
Mabaso said the Tshwane EMS is calling on all parents and caregivers to ensure that children are always left in the care of an adult and a safe environment.
Gauteng MEC for cooperative governance and traditional affairs, e-Government, Research and Development Mzi Khumalo said he was deeply saddened by the tragic loss of life.
Khumalo said on August 28, the Provincial Disaster Management Centre (PMDC) received information about a fire at Itireleng and together with the officials from Tshwane’s Disaster Management Centre (TDMC) visited the site for an assessment.
“The affected families have been provided with humanitarian support by the PMDC and TDMC.
“The Gauteng government and its social partners will provide counselling and food parcels, additionally, a housing or accommodation assessment and assistance will be provided upon conclusion of the assessment.”
Khumalo said the South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) together with Tshwane welfare would assist with burial support once household profiling is done.
“It is reported that the two individuals who are related to the deceased children have been taken in for questioning, it is grossly irresponsible for adults to leave minor children unattended.
“The various departments of the Gauteng government are currently conducting assessments and profiling the affected communities. Support and assistance will be provided based on the assessments,” he said.
Gauteng Human Settlements and Infrastructure Development MEC Lebogang Maile said his department will timeously put the necessary measures in place for the affected families, including psychological help and relocating them.
“It is clear that there are many social ills affecting Itireleng. This area is dolomitic – people are not supposed to be staying here,” Maile said.
He urged various stakeholders to assist in preventing the mushrooming of informal settlements such as Itireleng.
“Informal settlement residents should be registered so we can determine who lives there.
“These informal settlements are illegal and unscrupulous people charge people living there rent illegally.”
He said fires were also common in Itireleng and urged Tshwane authorities to begin investigating illegal electricity connections and put an end to the criminality which could potentially be a source of fire breakouts.
Maile added law enforcement was needed to tackle illegal taverns.
“Operations need to begin in this area and many others to tackle illegal taverns as they create multiple issues and especially revenue loss to the government.”
Do you have more information about the story?
Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
