News

Missing Pretoria journalist: Hijacking, kidnapping charges laid after five arrests

Five were arrested after stolen goods and car parts were linked to missing Pretoria journalist Aserie Ndlovu and partner Zodwa Mdhluli.

Five suspects have been arrested in connection with the disappearance of journalist Aserie Ndlovu and his partner Zodwa Mdhluli, after stolen property and vehicle parts linked to the couple were recovered.

Police had a meeting set up with thefamilies of Mdhuli and Ndlovu on Wednesday.

“We have gathered here this morning to provide a progress report on the kidnapping and hijacking case that has been registered in the case of missing journalist, Ndlovu and his partner, Mdhluli.

“We have briefed both families on where we are in terms of our investigation and what we have uncovered thus far.” 

Police furthermore said a total of five suspects have been arrested and are currently facing the following charges: Kidnapping, carjacking, house robbery, possession of suspected stolen property, possession of suspected stolen motor vehicle and drug possession.

All five suspects were traced to different villages in KwaMhlanga and all are South African nationals.

“Police have so far recovered and seized two VW citi Golfs that were allegedly fitted with parts suspected to belong to the victim, Ndlovu’s vehicle.

“Home appliances that were allegedly stolen from the couple’s home have also been recovered. These include a fridge, stove, microwave, blankets and other items.

Ndlovu, a National Press Club committee member, was reported missing on February 18, while his partner Mdhluli was only reported missing a few days later on February 24.

Ndlovu’s brother, Sifiso Ndlovu, told the Sowetan that the cameras at Denlyn Mall in Mamelodi showed Ndlovu leaving after work.

He worked in Mamelodi, east of Pretoria, but lived in KwaMhlanga, Mpumalanga.

What happened to him after that remains unclear. 

The details surrounding Mdhluli’s disappearance are also unknown. The family has granted the police permission to access the couple’s phone records.

“Investigations are continuing and all possible leads are being followed where we are still searching for the missing couple. With the resources and capacity deployed, we are hopeful that we will soon get to the bottom of the motive and the whereabouts of the missing couple.”

The police said three suspects have already appeared before the KwaMhlanga Magistrates Court on a charge of possession of suspected stolen property as well as kidnapping.

“The other two suspects are expected to appear today and will be joined by the other three suspects that appeared on Tuesday. One suspect is a minor child of 17 years old and is currently released into the care of his parents.”

Also read: Have you seen this missing Pretoria journalist and partner?

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to bennittb@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Corné van Zyl

Corné van Zyl is a seasoned journalist and currently a senior reporter at Rekord, with a wealth of experience across various media platforms. She began her career after studying journalism at the Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) and first honed her skills at Media24. Corné’s career took her to Beeld, Sondag newspaper, and the South African Press Association (SAPA), where she built a strong foundation in news reporting. In her free time, Corné enjoys spending time with her family outdoors, embracing life and creating lasting memories with her loved ones.
Back to top button