Line 2B BRT completion delayed until March 2026 amid safety concerns
BRT Line faces another setback as the metro pushes the completion date from the N1 to University Road section to next year.
Residents and commuters in Pretoria east face further delays as the Tshwane metro has pushed back the completion of the A Re Yeng Bus Rapid Transit Line 2B from July this year to March 13, 2026.
Line 2B of the A Re Yeng system starts at the N1 interchange at Atterbury Road, runs down Atterbury, then into Lynnwood Road, continuing along to Loftus Versfeld Stadium in Arcadia.
The extension comes amid growing concerns over dangerous road conditions, including missing markings and damaged signage on key routes like Lynnwood and Atterbury.
Ward 83 Councillor Siobhan Muller stated that people are constantly asking why, after the roads have been resurfaced, there are still no lane markings.
“The truth is the asphalt needs around two months to cure before permanent road markings can be applied,” she said.
Muller added that, however, in the meantime, there should at least be temporary dotted lines to guide drivers.
According to Muller, it’s extremely dangerous at night, especially with no streetlights and many road signs damaged during the resurfacing.
She also raised concerns over the state of intersections such as Atterbury and Justice Mohamed streets, where multiple lanes merge without clear markings or signage, creating very dangerous conditions.
“Temporary markings and better signage must be installed immediately. The current situation is unsafe,” she added.
Muller also expressed dissatisfaction with the extension of the BRT project on the section from the N1 to the university.
She explained that they now have an extension on the first section, including the stormwater canal.
This comes after previous delays had already pushed the expected completion date beyond July, adding to growing frustrations over ongoing road safety issues for motorists.
“The metro was not satisfied with the previous sewer and electrical work, so it has to be redone. This is a waste of public funds that should have been avoided with better oversight,” she said.

Metro spokesperson Lindela Mashigo confirmed that the contractual completion date for Line 2B is now set for March 13, 2026.
He explained that the delay was largely due to difficulties in obtaining approvals and the expropriation of certain properties necessary for road widening.
“Additionally, the metro has had to require the contractor to redo major infrastructure work,” said Mashigo.
According to Mashigo, the sewer and electrical installations at the Kings Highway culvert were not up to specification.
“The sewer line was originally installed too high, obstructing the culvert, so it had to be reinstalled deeper below the canal floor.
“The electrical lines also needed to be relocated due to the widened canal and road,” he said.
When questioned about the financial impact, Mashigo said that any work rejected for poor quality is at the contractor’s expense and does not add to the project budget.
He added that the budget of the project still remains at R146-million.
Despite this assurance, Muller was critical of what she called ‘double spending’.

The absence of road markings and damaged signage has forced many motorists into confused and unsafe driving conditions for months.
The metro confirmed that permanent road markings will be completed by September 1, once the asphalt has cured, with all missing signs replaced by September 30.
“However, temporary markings, which could provide much-needed guidance, have not yet been installed because administrative procedures, such as creating requisitions, are still underway.
“In the interim, traffic accommodation and temporary signage are in place,” Mashigo said.
He added that the metro is still finalising paperwork before service providers can start the temporary marking work.
Despite ongoing dangers, he said the metro has not received any formal complaints or accident reports related to the road conditions.
He confirmed that penalties will be enforced should the contractor fail to meet the deadline.
However, he did not want to provide details on any disciplinary actions that had been taken against the contractor or Tshwane’s transport authority.
ALSO READ: Two cars hit spikes on N14 in sudden resurgence of road attacks
Do you have more information about the story?
Please send us an email to bennittb@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram or TikTok.
